Sunday, March 13, 2005

Northern Ontario Fishing is the BEST!


Brother & Sister Team Posted by Hello
Fishing is one of the greatest feelings, especially once you've got that baby on the hook. The adrenalin flows throughout you as you fight the fish to the boat. Especially a good old Northern. The more it fights, the better it feels. You think to yourself, 'remain calm' as your heart is pumping a mile a minute. You know it's big from the pulling at the end of your line. "Steady", you tell yourself. "Don't reel too fast! Coach it in!...that's it...easy now!" The fish takes off with a run, but you keep the line taunt." The fish is coming closer and closer to the boat and you wait in anticipation to see the size of that baby.
My brother Bill, is prepared with the net, reminding me, "Keep your rod up. You're doing great!" We finally see it! "Get ready Bill!" "I'm way ahead of you...Keep your rod up!" HE'S GOT IT! WHAT A BEAUTY!!! My hands are shaking as I get it unhooked. The thing weighs a ton as I pic it up for the pictures. No makeup on, but do I care? NO WAY! With happy laughter I release the fish and thank it for the thrill it gave me. I'm on cloud nine and at that point don't care if I caught another fish...but that only lasts a few seconds.
Then Bill yells out, "I've got one!" The excitement starts again. Whether your caughting or watching, the excitement grips you right in the stomach.
We did good that day and caught and released a lot of fish, but my excitement came when I caught the pickeral. Walleyes to our neighbours to the South. First one was only small, so I kissed it before I released it and told it to find his Daddy! LOL Where there is one, there are more of them. You're in the boat talking to each other, when suddenly I yell, "FISH ON!" It feels big, but not powerful and it's way out there. As excited as I get, I'm very calm while landing the fish. My whole concentration is on the end of my line. WE SEE IT! IT'S MY PICKERAL and what a beaut. This one is tonights supper!
We caught a few more, but it's getting dark so it's time to head back to our campsite on the island. Mmmmmm...supper was SUPERB! We talk until it's time for bed by the campfire. It gets dark fast in the woods and morning comes early. Specially, if you want to wake up when the fish are hungry.

Just writing this blog has my heart pumping and the memories make me smile. Now I can' wait for the snow to be gone. Get out my old rod and reel, and clean it all up and get it prepared for this year. Another season is about to begin!


Pirate Bill LOL Posted by Hello
Fishing isn't all about serious catching though. There are a lot of fun things that you see and explore as you're now in God's Country! These two pics of my brother are hallarious. His filet knife is razor sharp...and although here he was just kidding around, you could actually shave with it...or take a few layers from your face. WATCH IT BILL! I love you too much for that! LOL

No comments: