Thursday, March 03, 2005

From this...to this...


From this... Posted by Hello

To this... Posted by Hello

I guess my friends are trying to console me by saying, "At least you get to keep Shasta." And yes, that does make me fortunate in that sense, but I can't help thinking about all the thousands that are going to be either put down or sent to labs for experiments.
Am I an emotional wreck? You better believe it. I've cried ever since I heard the outcome. I imagine the fear and the panic these dogs are going through. Most of them as innocent as any other loving pet, like scared children, not knowing what is happening to them.
If they looked sad sitting in the pound, waiting and waiting for their masters to come for them, or someone to take them home to love them, aren't they in for a worse surprise. What crime did they commit? Because of what the name of their breed was, is enough to lead them to this destiny? Because of their breed, they are deemed 'loaded weapons about ready to erupt'?
At least put these poor creature out of their misery humanely. Don't experiment and put them through all sorts of horrid tests. Aren't humans the care takers of all animals? We have been chosen to protect them, not subject them and torchure.
Yes, my Shasta is infact lucky, if by lucky you mean she didn't have to go through what these other dogs are going through. But, now even she has restrictions. After years of teaching her socialization of people, children and animals domestic and wild, how will she feel when she goes for a walk expecting to get her pats and attention from passer-byers, but with a muzzle on, people will avoid her at all costs. Will she wonder why people are looking at her with fear or contempt? Will she think the muzzle is some sort of punishment, when she hasn't done anything wrong? Will it effect her wonderful outgoing personality?
I was preparing her for a dog therapy program to help the seniors and sick children in hospitals. With her nature, she is a natural at bring smiles and laughter their way, but no more. There's a clause that says if Bill 132 is passed, all so called breeds in the program are no longer able to participate. That also broke my dream, as I know what it's like to be housebound with health problems and phobia's. Shasta has helped me so much by getting me out into the open world again and I wanted to share with others what she has taught me. Dreams dashed by a bill. It just doesn't seem fair.
While many people are overjoyed by the new bill, many more are mourning what that vote has caused. In my heart of hearts, I believed michael Bryant was going for the bill no matter what, but what I didn't believe was that the vote of the MPP's would be so great. I guess, I was hoping that they would hear from reliable experts to base their vote on, rather than the close mindeness and ignorance of the likes of Michael Bryant.
I've been frantically searching the net to see if there is anyway of trying to ammend the bill. Or, put in a new bill. I know this fight isn't over, because I will try every avenue to try to right this wrong.

By the way, this is my youngest Grandson with Shasta. Am I afraid to have her around him? Certainly NOT! She would protect him with her life.

No comments: