Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Reward of the BEST KIND...and MORE!

When I first started to blog, it was more of a release for me than caring if anyone was reading my blog posts, but as time went by...so did my frame of mind. This avenue is one of the best ways to get to people that may not even be aware of a problem.
I have had many replies and emails and met a lot of friends a long this journey. Many that feel the same as I do and helping in this fight of liberating the breeds, know as Pit bulls and showing their true and positive nature, rather than the few that have ruined it by their owning a dog and teaching it the opposite of what this breed is all about.
At first, I felt alone in my battle for the dogs, but now I find so many of you out there that leave me comments, guestbook messages and email to let me know I'm one of many that are helping to make a difference. To these people, I want to say THANK YOU! Thank you for helping me to push on and thank you for helping us reach a goal of showing that a Pit bull is not what a lot of people think.
One woman left me a comment that before comimg to my blog, she never realized what the nature of pit bull was. That the names given to some of these dogs were enough to scare the public. And I have to agree with her, that the names do hurt the dogs as so do the myths about them.
Pit bulls are only as dangerous as their owners want them to be...or make them to be, or they are thrown out as useless.
We not only want to get rid of the myths about pit bulls, but we desparately want to get rid of the owners that are doing this breed and any breed an injustice. We want them jailed, highly fined and not allowed to ruin another animals life by allowing them to own another animal.
Anyone that has followed any of my posts know I am from Ontario, Canada where the banning of Pit bulls has been passed, but with restrictions. I no longer fight against the BSL in my province, but rather for an amendment to this new law.
Amendments that would protect citizens from all bite attacks, regardless of breed. We want more responsibility placed on the owners and emphasize proper socialization, training and not allowing any inappropriate behavior. People who can not or do not abide by these rules do not deserve to own an animal. With a bite registry in place province wide, an assemby could track accurately offending dogs and their owners. Same with an education program aimed at dog owners, children, parents, service workers and the general public.
If we truly want to be protected from attacks, this makes a whole lot more sence than banning a specific breed and saying we are safe. We're NOT!
Pit bull bites ranked 4th on the list...from the bottom. Michael Bryant and the media has alarmed the general public by not providing fact. He is giving Ontarians a false sense of security by saying that banning Pit bulls will decrease the amount of attacks. If he really wanted to decrease attacks, then having all the above mentioned put into play would provide a real sense of security.
Dog owners across the province want our dogs name cleared, whether they be Pit bulls or any other breed. If we have a breed that has never committed a crime or does not even have the temperment to do such a crime, why should they be punished. Education with a proper registry in place would provide the safety that Michael Bryant has neglected to gather information on. Are you going to let a Health Minister that has not taken the time to educate himself on the issues dictate to you that false sense of security...or would you rather have facts and know your safety is a priority?
To see how much Michael Bryant really knows about this issue, go
here and watch the Citytv interview. It just might give you something to think about.
Well, I only started off wanting to thank a lot of people for their support, but as always...I've gone off in another direction. But hey...that's me! LOL

4 comments:

Cold Cut Ten said...

Hello. :-)

Pit bulls had a lot of bad press. I agree with you, it's not the breed that is the problem. It is usually the owners who make the dogs that way.

When I was little, about eight or nine, I was bitten by a dog, a mongrel. It was my mistake, so innocently reaching out to pat it, then the dog just went for it. Luckily it was nothing very serious, just a bite and a bit of bleeding. The dog belongs to my grandma's neighbour. It was a stray before that. Then this man took him in and turned the mild mannered dog into a monster. I do recall sometimes hearing the dog whelping in pain as the owner beat him in order to train him to become a fierce watchdog. I didn't know it then, but as I grew older, I realise that it probably made the dog hate humans. He would just bark and growl nastily at anybody passing by. He wasn't like that before he was owned.

Don't know what became of the dog. I heard it was taken away after it bit another child.

Guitartists said...

That is too bad :( The man should have been taken and beaten on a daily basis >:( See how he likes it! And then be put down when he attacks someone. gggggrrrrrrr Will people never learn? A dog will protect in a dire situation because it loves its family. Anything else is just making it mean. No one should want a dog that indiscriminately hates everyone! One should strive to have a loving relationship with their dog so that the dog then can do what does come naturally to them when put in a situation to protect. My guess is that had someone actually tried to hurt that owner, the dog probably wouldn't have done a thing about it.... Karma.

Conners said...

The saddest part is the beating that poor dog took to get him that way. Just think about it...had that dog not done as that man wanted, it would have kept getting abused that way. If that was the way for the man to stop, perhaps if I were that dog, I'd do exactly the same thing.
And then who ended up getting taken away...the DOG because he bit. He only did what was demanded of him or he would have gotten another violent beating. The poor dog was the victim in every situation. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.
It's people like that, that make me think they better muzzle me if I ever get hold of them. I'm not a fighter (physically) but I tell you, that man would be in jail as quick as you could say, 'pit bull'! grrrrr....

Conners said...

The saddest part is the beating that poor dog took to get him that way. Just think about it...had that dog not done as that man wanted, it would have kept getting abused that way. If that was the way for the man to stop, perhaps if I were that dog, I'd do exactly the same thing.
And then who ended up getting taken away...the DOG because he bit. He only did what was demanded of him or he would have gotten another violent beating. The poor dog was the victim in every situation. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.
It's people like that, that make me think they better muzzle me if I ever get hold of them. I'm not a fighter (physically) but I tell you, that man would be in jail as quick as you could say, 'pit bull'! grrrrr....