Saturday, June 04, 2005

Amazing Sniffer...

There are certain breeds of dogs that seem to be better at Search and Rescue, Police dogs that smell out drugs and even criminals, and are you aware that the Pit bull breeds are one of these fantastic dogs.
Let me tell you about an experience we have had with Shasta. My friend Cindy had a sore on her face and we had a very hard time keeping Shasta away from it. She was determined that she needed to lick it. Now Shasta is an extremely lovable dog, but I can normally get her to settle down once she says her hello's, but when Cindy came over, it was a completely different story. Shasta would try her darndest to lick Cindy's face, but only at the mouth and chin area.
We later found out that Cindy had cancer in that part of her face and needed to have extensive surgery. After she was checked out, they said the surgery was a complete success. Cindy's health continued to faulter though, rather than getting better. Shasta was still acting in the same manner, only now she left her face area's alone.
The doctors kept telling Cindy that it was a long process of recovery and that her feeling weak and lifeless was part of the healing process. It's been quite awhile since she had the surgery and should be showing some signs of recovery, but she continues to be going downwards and Shasta will not leave her alone.
Well, we finally received news that while the surgery was a complete success to her face, the cancer medizised through her blood stream and to her lymph nodes. She will be seeing the cancer doctor in a couple of weeks to see how they will handle it.
The awesomeness though is that Shasta knew something was wrong in her body even prior to the doctors realizing it and again when they told her it was all cleared up. I've heard of cases like this before of dogs reacting strangly and when the person goes to the doctor, they find a medical condition that needs to be treated.
It would be wise for the the medical profession to do some research into this and rather than banning dogs, let them use their talent to good use.
I've already posted before that I was gettig Shasta and myself ready for the St. John's Anbulance Therapy Dog Program, but because when Bill 132 was first proposed, that would alter our course of action and Shasta being under the breed, Pit bull was not allowed to proceed.
I've also noticed with me and my medical conditions that when I am going through a very bad time, Shasta stays close beside me the whole time. To the point that she does not even ask to be taken for walks. She quicky goes outside in the back yard to do her duty and straight back inside to be with me.
If that means I need to sleep day and night for periods of time, she is laying down right next to me and always close enough that she is touching me. She demands nothing from me and senses that I am ill. She's my comfort and although I live alone, I believe if I was in grave danger, she would find a way to bring help to me in some way. She's a very sensitive and truely remarkable dog and very in tune to sickness and disease. Perhaps we were destined to be together.
I've seen when I've been sick with the flu or with a head banging migraine. Shasta will stay quiet and does not vocalize like she normally does with her saying, 'Mom', as I believe she understands Mommy is sick and this is not the time to play or be comical. During those times when I am weak and barely can walk, Shasta comes with me, even if it is to the washroom.
When she was younger and this would happen, she would wine quietly and if I was sick to my stomach, she wanted to clean my face. Of course I put a stop to that and as she's become older, she seems to understand that staying near is what I need rather than her being afraid and trying to clean me off.
If some people that didn't understand, knew the compassion and and the unconditional love these dogs have for their families, they might just change their minds about the animal and not look so closely at what a dogs breed may be.
On another note, the Property Manager of where I live has a fear of dogs. Even more so to large dogs, as she was bit as a child. I asked her if it happened to be a pit and she said no. I was happy to hear that, at least. But what she asked me next made me feel very good. She asked me if I would bring Shasta with me to the office more often, so help her overcome her fears. She knows Shasta is friendly...and yes, she is fully aware of her breed, yet she has asked for me to bring her.
When I went to pay my rent on the first of this month, she was going to get up the courage to come aound from behind the counter and come closer to Shasta. I told Shasta to sit and I honestly believe Shasta knew that this woman had a fear, as rather than being her usual friendly self, instead sat quietly and still while she was being petted by her. She looked up at her with her pretty light brown eyes and let the woman know she enjoyed that by her smile, but she didn't move a muscle.
Dumb, vicious dogs? NOT! Shasta is 'special' to mean, but this is very much simular with her breed as I've talked to other pittie owners, but it's not the owners of this spectacular breed that needs to be convinced, it's the ones that have heard only the horror stories through the media. The ones that won't even 'try' to understand what these dogs are all about.
With me having Shasta though, she has already changed a lot of minds of people who once thought as the others did, so I guess it's a slow process. It's a shame we couldn't reach more people at one time, as it would disspell a lot of the myths that some people have regarding the Pit bull breeds. Walking past them with a halti or muzzle only validates in their minds that the myths are true. What can we do to help change their minds?

6 comments:

Guitartists said...

Amazing noses for sure!!! I have heard of using dogs to find and diagnose skin cancers. They can detect such small amounts of a substance thru smell. Of course, I think all animals have a built in sense of health. It is how mammas always know which babies have problems from the moment they are born.

You know, I have struggled with keeping my Bridget. She is by no means an aggressive dog... but in being shy, she growls and barks a lot and can get nippy when backed into a corner. I know in my heart that she would never maul someone or bite them to hurt them unless it was a life and death situation.... but other people who do not know her can not see that. :( I worry sometimes that keeping a shy pit does a dis-service to pitties everywhere.... because she does not have the wiggly-butt attitude that pits have... except at home and with people she knows. My hope is that someday she will know everyone and will then be that wiggly-butt dog... but right now she mostly makes people assume that she is mean. :( I keep a muzzle on her in public, not because I think she will bite someone, but because if someone runs up on her and grabs for her, she may give a warning nip...and even though those warning nips do not break skin, my ass would still be in trouble, and they would most likely try to force me to give up Bridget, claiming she was a dangerous dog. :( :( :(

I can't wait to get a house of our own so we can adopt a rescued pit!!! I think that may be the answer for all..... save a pit from certain doom, give Bridget a friend, playmate and role-model for true pittie behavior and present the public with a true representation of pittie lovability!!!!

I would imagine shy dog owners everywhere struggle with this. But having a pit kinda makes my struggle a double whammy. :( It is hard to catch every person and explain to them that she is NOT the standard, and that she is NOT displaying true pit behavior, that she is SHY NOT MEAN and that the Pit Bull in her is most likely the only thing that will help change her!

Conners said...

You know, not only can dogs sense or smell diseases, such as cancer, but they can also sense your fear. She may not know why you are afraid, which is what you are because of her shyness, but she picks up on it.
When I walk Shasta at 2AM because I realize I won't have smokes for the morning (I know...bad habit especially for my health conditions, but I have cut down drastically compared), but a woman walking the streets that time of night, of course I'm nervous even though I always bring Shasta. She senses it and I notice if she hears the slightest little thing, like a bag flying in the wind, or leaves blowing, she's got her eyes peeled to everything. Very unlike her during her day time walks, so that may be part of her problem.
With BrandyCat when one of his favorite birds died, he actually pined for the bird and would do strange things like wanting to get into the empty cage. Sounds crazy I know, but I phoned the vet to explain the problem and he gave me a number to call of a pet shrink.
One alternative was to get Brandy a new bird. (This was way before I had a whole slew of them) But my fear was that perhaps a new bird may die of fright not knowing my cat was a bird lover.
The second alternative was medication to help Brandy through the grieving period. He went on a low dose of valium for a short duration which calmed him down and he returned back to normal.
I'm not sure if this might help, but it's worth a try. Rescued dogs that were used for fighting sometimes need to be desenitized. I would ask a professional if this might be the case and how to go about doing it. They may even have other good suggestions rather than me guessing here.
As you stated in an earlier comment, she is also an ikeda/pit mix. are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with her pit vrs ikeda? All these questions should be asked to your vet and ask where you would go to seek help for her. It's a better solution than getting rid of her as her problem won't go away and you would be devastated.
Getting another dog could help... or not. I'd ask a professional.
Good luck!

Guitartists said...

I have had her since she was a small pup.... so no fighting involved... I have had people say that Akitas are very independant, and that it could be just that. But it is not, granted the Akita lends to her not so cuddly personality..she likes having her own space, but she is shy. The first walk we went on, she barked and growled histarically at things like bushes, rocks, mailboxes.... and didn't even want to walk past them. Certain people that she is naturally submissive too, she submits to the point of peeing all over. This has gotten better with age, but she still has a weak blatter when she hasn't seen certain people in a long while. And once someone or something earns her trust, she doesn't forget, and then she is all wigglebutt and kisses :D So I have faith that she will be ok in the long run, as she is getting gradually better.... she is only 6 months old, so she has time yet. She goes to get spayed in a week or so, so hopefully that too might help.

Conners said...

*giggle* Well you just answered the question I was going to ask and that was her age. She's still a BABY! Have you had her from a pup or did she have a previous owner befor you?
She still has a LOT of learning to do, but in terms of her age, it's like teaching a toddler. Be patient with her and give her lots of praise when she does things right.
I needed to break uite a few habits that my son-in-law taught her, as perhaps being a puppy it was cute, but not when she gets 50 some odd pounds. Know what I mean?
She even started to chew on my furniture. He quickly got her safe puppy things she could use for her teething and as a added touch, I put some drops of Tabasco where she began to chew. Needless to say, she never went back to my furniture. LOL
You already said she is getting less shy and that's a GREAT sign!
Do me a BIG favor, and quit listening to people. Do you know the amount of pitties that have been sent to their doom, because of owners getting scared of all the media hype. If you read my post on Madonna, that was exactly the same type of issue.
I've gootn my first nasty comment and sure there will be plenty more once the muzzling goes into effect, but I know my Shasha and that's why I rushed to her defence. Don't allow those comments from your family continue. You tell them when they are putting her down, that feels the same to you as if they were putting down your kids. They think because she is a dog, they can say anything they want...and make sure they see when Buddy is teasing her. Don't let him get away with it. You are her defender and she needs you to do that. You know her better than that, so defend her as you would your people family...after all, she IS a part of your family.

Guitartists said...

OMG!!! The best thing happened the other day. Pits are SOOOOO smart ;) Course, you already knew that..LOL

I took Bridget with me to a friend Janelle's house the other day. She has met this friend a few times, but was still being a butthead about it :P She would take treats from her, but otherwise avoided all contact and attention from her.

Well, this time, after she took a cookie from her, she acted like old Bridget and was still being shy. My friend has a toddler... so I put her muzzle on so we could visit without my having to worry what she was getting into, about her annoying the cats or getting scared of Hanna (her daughter).

Well, she made this horribly pitifull face and just stood there all sad. My friend said "oooohhhh...take the muzzle off, she'll be fine, she doesn't have to wear it here." So I took it off.

She was so relieved.... she ran around the house tormenting cats LOL Course, they kept coming back for more, so it must not have been so bad ;) And she snooped in every corner of the house..LOL

But what really got me was when she came into the livingroom, where we were sitting on the floor, and she walked right up to Janelle and Hanna and not only allowed both to pet her, touch her face and reach out for her, but she even gave Hannah kisses and Janelle a kiss on the cheek!!!!! I was so happy to see her being so friendly! :D :D

After that she kept trying to give Hannah kisses, though she wasn't so thrilled and would tell her to stop..LOL Bridget just couldn't get enough! And when she had food, Bridget just sat and waited for her to drop some, even though she could have just bullied it like she sometimes tries with my kids :P She was so calm with Hannah... it was wonderful to see this side of Bridget :D

There was even a point where she kept walking in front of us (we were playing Tetris) and Janelle grabbed her and pulled her into her lap to lay down.... I was like "Oh no...she's gonna be a brat now!" but she just let her do it, laid there for a few seconds, and then got up to go search for kitties! It was fabulous! :)

I just know that she knew Janelle was the one who petitioned to have her muzzle removed, and she trusted her because of it. Pits are too smart ;)

Conners said...

WAY TO GO GIRL! See? She was just upset about that darn muzzle thing and you not trusting her. It's our duty to keep our eyes open, but as you see, an unhappy dog has no way of telling us what is wrong. I'm really glad that your g/f gave you an eye opener. Give Bridget a big happy hug for me!
I went out to view muzzles, but my heart wasn't into it, so I bought Shasta a pair of doggy sunglasses, a toy and wanted to buy her running shoes for when we go bike riding. Sometimes the pavement gets really hot, plus the stones and glass. Well turned out the running shoes were a winter item. That's just plain dumb! I bought her snow boots for the winter! The sales girl gave me a name of a place that specializes more on the clothing and assessories. I saw some really cute necklaces, but I could make her 4 or 5 for the price they wanted for one, plus make them to suit her fawn colour. Maybe she'll be recognized for the dog that makes a fashion statement rather than her breed. LOL
It makes me wonder if Shasta will go through what Bridget did about the muzzle though. To see such a vast difference in her, just by not putting on the muzzle. I really hope these new amendments to Bill 132 goes through. Then I won't have to find out, but doubt it will get passed that fast as these things take time...although Michael Bryant's (ohhh I feel like I'm cursing every time I write his name) bill sure tookoff like a flash. We barely knew what hit us.
Make sure you reward Bridget heavily when she behaves so nicely and maybe one day you can throw that darn thing away. *fingers crossed*