Monday, May 01, 2006

WHY ARE 'PIT BULLS' BANNED IN ONTARIO???

As I read about this attack in the Yorkregion.com it makes me wonder, WHY ARE PIT BULLS BANNED???

Let's face it folks, there are dogs that bite and there are dogs that don't. Breed as we see is not the issue, and when they say Tabetan bull mastiff's are vicious...well lets just say, they say the same of the Pit bull breeds so who are we to believe.

Why would any person want to own a vicious breed unless they weren't on the up and up, unless you need a gaurd dog, which the average family doesn't. There are so many high tec security gadgets to keep you safe, that a dog surely isn't needed for protection only. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Let's go with this little piece of information they gave us. "According to a dog breeder's website...." What web site? I did a search for Tabetan bull mastiff breeders and came up empty. I'm not saying they aren't there, just that I couldn't find any.

There used to be the day when the media was a good source of information, but now they have gone into drama and theatrics at all costs and you never know what to believe.

Pefferlaw dog attack leaves victim shaken
Apr 12, 2006
John Slykhuis, Staff Writer

A huge, raging dog "shook me like a rag doll" in a frightening attack last Friday, a Keswick man said this week.


Kevin Sarasin said he's lucky to be alive after a 160-pound Tibetan bull mastiff tore into him while he was visiting his father, Roy, in Pefferlaw.

It was supposed to have been a day to celebrate.

"My fiancee (Stephanie McBride) and I found out we were going to have a baby boy after the ultrasound and we were going to bring my dad the good news," Mr. Sarasin said.

After chatting with his father and his father's friend, they noticed a car driven by Kevin's sister Christine Sarasin pull into the driveway.

"We noticed the dog from next door was outside. I opened the front door and sort of shooed it home and he just lunged at me. I didn't have a chance. He grabbed me by the arm, spun me around and dragged me down. He just shook me like a rag doll."

That's when an outraged Christine took action.

"My sister chased it off with a rake, pretty brave. She saved my live," he said.

Police and paramedics were called and he was taken to the hospital to treated for a lacerated arm, deep bites in his side, one near his spine and several punctures and torn muscles. One spot was behind my left knee, near the tendon. They said I was pretty lucky."

Police did not charge the owner, but Georgina municipal enforcement officials are expected to have the animal declared vicious.

Mr. Sarasin said the Tibetan bull mastiff, named Twilight, dug under the fence to get loose. "And it wasn't the first time," Mr. Sarasin said.

The dog is now in mandatory quarantine at the Georgina animal shelter where staff members said he is very aggressive and hostile.

The unidentified owner is being urged to have the dog destroyed. Until then, as an official "vicious" dog, the owner will be required it be securely fenced and muzzled when off the property.

Further legal action my be pending.

Mr. Sarasin, a 30-year-old punch press operator, said he'll be off work for at least a week as he recovers from his injuries.

Tibetan bull mastiffs, which were used to guard monasteries in Tibet, can weigh up to 170 pounds and on their hind legs top six feet in height. They are being used as watchdogs in Canada and are often not friendly to humans.
According to a dog breeders' website they require "consistent and firm training".

It is the second vicious dog attack in a month in Georgina.

Last month, Barbara Cripps and her dog, Rex, were attacked by two dogs that were loose from their property in Keswick, inflicting serious wounds to the Belgian shepherd and bites and bruises to Ms Cripps. These dogs have also been declared vicious.

3 comments:

Amstaffie said...

Had any of these dogs been pits, it would have made national news and the pits would already have been PTS.

It doesn't matter the breed... If the dog is vicious, it's vicious.

IndyPindy said...

The breed is called the Tibetan Mastiff, that's probably why you didn't find any breeders. And no, they are not all vicious, there is no way you can say that!

Conners said...

Dogs are dogs and if not raised properly from the tiniest to the largest, there is going to be some sort of problems. Not saying they are going to bite, emotional problems in dogs can make them do unusual things they can't help, such as sickness in stress.
Yuppers Andee, if you want to make headlines, all you need is a bullie!

Indy, I think you mistook what I was saying about the dog. I personally don't know what it is and thus looked it up...or tried.
What I was saying is that ALL can bite and some chose to while others don't.
When I used the Tibian as an example, I put in in referance to the bullies too and you know how I feel about them.
Perhaps my wording was mistaken. Re-read my intro to the piece again and see if you may have misread what I said.
Indy...I'm not just a bullie lover. I'm a DOG LOVER and a ANIMAL LOVER! It's just that right now the bullies are in trouble and I want to help.