Sunday, April 17, 2005

Trying to find him...before it's too late

There's been a lost dog that has been coming around in search of food. He's looks a lot like Shasta, only his snout is longer with black markings. He's wearing an orangy pink (weird for a male) collar and wearing dog tags.
I first spotted him on my patio over a week ago, probably smelling around because of Shasta. Some of the neighbours have seen him roaming around, but I figured he found his way home as I hadn't seen him again. That is, until this evening. He's standing up trying to see if he can find anything to eat in the garbage bins, which tells me he is pretty hungry. The bins are about 5 feet tall. I tried calling him, but he seems rather nervous and scared. I would be too if I was in his shoes. If only I could get him close enough to me to be able to read his tags and find out where he lives, but he keeps his distance. My following him and coachig him to me made him nervous. He would stop and look at me as if trying to figure out if he could trust me.
During this venture, we were on a side road now and met a neighbour who was out walking his dog, a small pug. As the other dog watched as I petted the neighbours dog, he started to come closer too. That's when I noticed he was only young. Poor thing. He was only within a foot of me being able to touch his collar, but then he bolted as if he wanted to play with the pug. Ziggy, the pug is totally friendly too and as he went to play, the larger dog backed off as if afraid.
He went back for his search for food and sniffing and leaving his mark as he went along so carefully, obviously trying to find his home.
Since the closest way to him was through Ziggy, I thought if I got Shasta and a big container of dog food and see if we could find him again. Shasta had seen me go after him before as I followed him, so she knew we were out looking for him together. She even tried to follow his scent, but again, he has been all over and I wanted to try to find him before it was way too dark. Unfortunately we didn't, so I put the big plastic container of food out on the patio with hopes he will return for a good meal. Perhaps he will realise I'm trying to help, not harm him.
I feel so sad with him out there all alone in the night and pray he doesn't get hit by a car or no harm comes to him. In the morning I will call the Humane Society and Animal Control and ask if someone has lost a dog that fits his discription.
This couldn't be a worse time for a part pit to be lost and wondering the streets, because of people not understanding about how the ban hasn't been inforced yet. Tonight I pray for a lost dog to keep himself safe. To come back to my patio and find food and water out for him...and most of all, that he will allow me to let him into my apartment to find him his home.

No comments: