Saturday, April 23, 2005

Dad's Update...and Practical, Magically Bill

Yesterday evening I received an email from out west telling me that Dad was in high spirits and has started on his therapy this week. He's still weak and learning how to use his legs to walk again is painful and tiring. When and if he can finally learn to use his legs again could mean he will be able to leave the hospital and go home. We could still use those prayers that I've received comments and email about, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for them and the consoling messages.
Dad says he doesn't want me to come up there, especially knowing my finances and they will update me with his progress. I was so happy to receive that email and phoned my brother and mom to tell them the improved news.
Well, I must tell you about my brother. He's a very rare, one of a kind guy...and sometimes that is very good...and sometimes that is frustrating as h*ll! *giggle*
Bill is the practical one...usually, but he also like to use his daredevil skills the same as I do. Ever since I can remember, Bill has been my protector and tormenter. He would do ANYTHING for me that is possible and loves me very much. He always tells me I am his 'favorite' sister. Funny, because I'm his ONLY sister! LOL
Bill believes he has all the right answers and if you dare argue with him, he will raise your blood pressure sky high insisting he is right. He always wins the argument, because he leaves you so frustrated inside that you are willing to be at his mercy and let him think you've finally conceived to his ideal.
Why do I call my brother magical? He has confused me so much when I was younger from his teasing that even today, with some things I have to think twice about before I can comment about it. At the Toronto Zoo when we were younger, I would get excited and yell out, A TIGER! Bill would tell me that wasn't a tiger. It's a lion! The next time I yelled out A LION! He's tell me how confused I was and told me it was a tiger! This continued with so many things that I have to think, mane is tiger and no mane is lion, but even then I'm second guessing myself. Gee, thanks Bill!
Now, this didn't quit as we were children, it has and is still continuing even to this day. Quite a few years ago when we were fishing off a pier, Bill yelled out he had a whopper of a fish and to grab the net. I looked and his line as it was reeling out so fast, that I figured it HAD to be a trick! How? I don't know, but only Bill would be capable of it. I wasn't going to allow him to trick me this time and let him know it! He told me to look at his line. 'How could he have the line reel out? Grab the net!' ' No way! I don't know how you're doing it, but I'm not falling for it. Not again!'
Finally my husband, at the time, grabbed the net and I thought, wait until you see there's nothing there, you sucker! Did I have egg on my face when he eventually landed this gigantic carp. Not the nicest fish to catch, but it was the biggest carp that any of the people on the pier had ever seen. Bill asks me bewilderedly why I never believe him and why do I always think he can do these impossible tricks? He just can is all...and he does sometimes.
One thing I must really thank Bill for is all his track and field training that really panned out in public and high school. I came in second of all of Toronto and broke the record in London, that took decades later to finally break. This was due to us living about 15 minutes away from our public school in Toronto. No matter how much Mom tried to rush us along, we just poked away until we could hear the school bell ringing. That meant in 5 minutes the late bell would ring and we'd be sent to the office. Bill would grab my hand and start to run. Sometimes I thought I was flying behind him as I don't remember my feet touching the ground. He never let go though thankfully or I would have gone crashing to the ground. I couldn't breath, but Bill kept running. We were in the huge school ground now and you could see our classes with the pupils and teacher at the windows cheering us on. How he flew me up the steep steps and into the doors, I don't remember. Once inside, I was on my own and with a sudden burst of energy, threw open the classroom door just as the late bell rung. I had made it! This wasn't just once in awhile, it was nearly every day. But, later as I was old enough to go into track, it felt like nothing to leave the rest of the girls behind.
Being short and tiny, you wouldn't think I'd be good at doing hurdles and high jumping, but because of the speed behind me, that gave me the boost the height was lacking. Who would have thought that one day I would thank my brother for his rugged punishment he put me through as I stood proudly holding school trophy's and called up on stage to receive my track and field crests.
When I told Bill about Dad last night, he told me that perhaps him and I could fly to see Dad one day. Being practical, Bill doesn't just say things off the top of his hat. That means, it's very possible that we might go and to go with him would be very exciting. Dad would enjoy that too.
So we will see what happens, but for now, there is no more panic about rushing up there and THAT has put my mind to rest.

No comments: