Monday, April 04, 2005

Love is Shasta...and... Shasta is Love...


Shasta Love Posted by Hello
This is my Shasta and as you can see, she has a very loving, happy personality. The first pic is her giving me a few loving licks. I'm trying to get her to cut back on the licking, but I'm not quite sure how to do that, as I certainly can't scold her for being so loving. She is cutting back as I side track her by rubbing her belly instead. Ohhhh...and does she ever love that!
The 2nd picture is her when her little cousin, (but not related LOL) Lucy comes to visit. She's all smiles and the only time she will leave Lucy, is when the puppy takes a nap. Shasta wouldn't let any harm come to the baby and even let's her drink out of her water bowl and food dishes.
The 3rd picture is Lucy nibbling at Shasta's jowls. Shasta lays down to her level and encourages her, as she loves anything that makes Lucy happy. It's as if she's letting my girlfriend know, you can talk with Mommy and I'll watch the baby for you.
As you can see, Shasta is a very large part of my life. We do practically everything together. When I go bike riding, she runs beside me. When I go for walks, Shasta comes with me. Most times when I go visiting, Shasta is welcome or even asked to come.
Before her, I had a collie X that the kids named Bunny. She was a wonderful part of our family and with me even afterwards when I lived on my own. Once Bunny passed away at age 20 (human years), I didn't think I'd ever get another dog and with Bunny, a part of me died inside.
It wasn't until Shasta came into my life that that void was filled and my whole life changed for the good. I did things with Shasta that I wasn't able to do with Bunny, as Bunny was too old and her arthritis prevented her from walking very far. Her limit was to the back yard and back into the house so slowly. She was losing her eye sight, her bladder and her bowels. Then she started to lose her balance and I knew she was coming close to her end. I stayed home close to her, afraid to leave in case she needed me. I didn't realize it at the time, but I limited my life to take care of Bunny in her final years. We had grown older together and her health started going down at about the same time mine did. I wanted to make her final days as dignified and loved as much as possible, but I refused to believe it was her final time. Maybe it was selfish on my part, but I wanted so much to believe that she would get better. It happened before, so I was hoping again, only this time age was against her.
A good friend, Dave had a long talk with me showing me that what I wanted and what Bunny needed weren't in agreement. The more I listened and cried, the more I realized just how unfair I was being to her. That same night, she stopped eating and nothing I gave her would she even sniff. She would turn her head away. Bunny and I had a very special night together and I knew come morning what I would finally have to do. It was as if Bunny understood and I saw a calm happiness in her, as if she was comforting me.
The next day came and I made arrangements and I've never seen Bunny so excited. My family and friends came to say their farewells. Mostly I don't remember, as my whole being was on Bunny and although I knew it was the right decision, I was heart broken with her gone. I vowed I would never let that part of me be torn apart again. NEVER... Never... never...
But then after a few years, Shasta came into my life. I told myself all the reasons I wouldn't take her. I was only going to take her to train and socialize her properly. My friends saw what was going on and they kept telling me I would keep her, but I kept denying it. I loved her yes, but I was able to let go, is what I told everybody. They just laughed and asked who I was kidding. The thought of giving her up became painful to me. Again I cried and cried. That's when I knew that Shasta and I had bonded so deeply that she was going to stay with me forever.
She taught me how to live again and got me out of the house socializing once more. At one time I could barely walk to the store and now I can walk and ride for miles. First baby steps, and now I'm more alive than I have been since the accident. My frame of mind is better now than it ever was. My health issues are under my control and Shasta and I live for the moment enjoying the simplest things in life as well as the big.
Have I left myself vulnerable again? Perhaps, but that's the way of life. I'm thankful for the many years with Bunny and now I'm thankful for the love and joy Shasta brings to me. I don't need to think about the what if's. I look at the present and treasure all that I have. To think, it took a puppy named Shasta to give me back my life again.

No comments: