Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Our dogs...They FEED off us!

With the CGN training, all has been going great, but comes class and I wondered why Shasta wasn't the outgoing, happy dog she normally is. It's because of me. Yes, she feels all my fears and anxieties coming from me which leads to her.
Our trainer, Don pointed that out to me. He told me to watch Shasta as she walked. She was doing what she was suppose to, but I did notice she huddled right to my left leg. What I didn't notice was how she watched me the whole time. She was feeding off my insecurities. 'What if we don't pass?' 'What if...?' 'What if...?'
By watching Shasta, Don observed my typical smile was not there. My tone wasn't changing. I wasn't praising Shasta with the enthusiasm I normally do. What he saw was a very anxious and fearful couple.
I was surprised when he asked me what I was afraid of. How did he even KNOW I was afraid at all? Shasta showed him is how. Her body movements, her tail, her ears and her constant watching of me.
I did tell him why I was feeling anxious and he assured me that both Shasta and I were doing very well, but I needed to lighten up and enjoy myself. He told me to praise her. Speak to her as I normally do and encourage her. Most of all SMILE!
He put me at ease and as I focused on enjoying myself and put her through her routine, he pointed out her now body stance. She was no longer hugging my leg, but rather walking smartly beside me with a smile on her face, her ears up and in place and her tail wagging. I couldn't believe how a simple thing could effect her performance, but as he said, she feeds off off me. How true that is!
Why didn't I think of that? She knows when I'm happy or sad. She's so intuitive when I'm sick or happy and that is what makes her so 'Special', yet I wasn't taking this awareness to class with me. Yes she is intelligent and following instructions, but if I want a confident dog, then I must have that same confidence in both myself and her.
How can I be Alpha when I'm the weak link and that makes perfect sence, because she needs a strong leader.
We've learnt a lot over the past several weeks, but a small observation has opened my eyes so much.
I can teach her the commands and put her through the routines, but little did I think that that special bond we have together needed to keep being uplifted and secure. Sometimes the simplist lessons can be the most powerful.
I no longer say, 'If we pass this course.' I say, 'When we pass this test', and already am considering which other one I should think about us getting into next.

No comments: