Saturday, February 11, 2006

HOUSTON...We Have A Problem! I NEED advice!

We had our final lesson tonight for our Canine Good Neighbour Course and tonight we learnt how to wrestle our dogs down if there is a display of aggression breaking out. I actually found it quite easy. Once we have the dog pinned on it's back and you're over top of it, your showing that you are the aggressor and the dog becomes dominant. You're teaching your dog, you will handle the problems, not them. That you are in control and they don't need to be.
Although that wasn't part of our lesson, it was a good thing to learn and basically, two dogs that were not doing to well together tonight gave our trainer an oportunity to use it as a teaching skill.
Today was more about walking our dogs surrounded with loud noises and distractions. Shasta had no problem with that. She's used to loud noises as we even watch fireworks displayed and it doesn't phase her in the least. She's actually been doing very well and I thought for sure we would pass this course hands down.
Why must there always be a but? But there is. I had to leave her with the trainer for 3 minutes while I left the room and walked far down the hall and out of sight. No amount of incouragement from him could get her to stop whining for me. She isn't used to be left with people she doesn't really know and especially men, and we've got one week to work on that. One fault and you simply do not pass.
This is called supervised isolation and the test demonstrates the dog's ability to be left alone with a trusted person other than it's handler, while maintaining a calm acceptance of the situation.

1. The dog does not have to maintain position or place with the assistant evaluator.
2. The dog may not show signs of excessive stress.
3. Mild stress or nervousness is acceptable behaviour.

Dogs that exhibit the following will be rated as 'Not Ready':

  • The dog attempts to climb on the assistant evaluator.
  • The dog continually barks, whines, howls, paces or pants excessively.
  • The dog pulls on the leash in an attempt to get away.

Shasta whined for me the full 3 minutes and for the very first time in this course, I admit I have a lot of hard work to do with her in a week. First I need to find men, as she is fine around women, but since our trainer and evaluator is a male, I can see I need her to practice with males, and not well known males.

This is going to seem like a very strange request I plan on going out and asking people in my building (yes, strangers) if they will mind helping me through this week. When it comes to asking for strange requests, that's something second nature to me, and the worst that they can do, is to refuse. If this is what it takes to teach Shasta she can not depend on me to always be there, then I will do it, no matter how strange that may sound so someone.

At least in the building, I know where they live, so it's not exactly like asking a complete stranger off the street who could take off and steal her on me. So I will crate her at different intervals so she does not get used to a regular routine and avoid patting her as often as I do. But I DO want her to pass this and if this is what it takes, it's what is necessary. Any suggestions anyone might have would be most appreciative and you can comment anything you think would be beneficial.

2 comments:

IndyPindy said...

Are there any men in the class that you can practice this with? Or if they are too familiar for this, can they bring a male relative or friend to practice this? I'm sure other dogs in the class are having this problem as well, so maybe you and other owners can practice this together.

I would also go to a pet store and ask dog lovers to help you with this. Maybe even the staff. That way she is inside and they are people that you can trust with her.

Asking people in your building is a good idea too. At least they will know that you and Shasta are both approachable, and it can help knock down the Pitt Bull's bad image! Good luck!

Conners said...

No...my Shasta was the only suck that went into excessive stress once I left her. If it wasn't so important, it would have been COMICAL!!! She started off wimpering but got louder and louder until she was calling, 'MOM!'MOM!'
The longer it took the louder she called. At least now everybody believes me she can say Mom. LOL
Any male she is familiar with, she is ok with, but she has never had a chance to be one on one with Don (our trainer) before. That is basically like leaving her with a stranger to her.
That's why I need to practice with strange guys...only of course safety is a factor.
She's never met my girlfriends boyfriend, so if he isn't working, maybe he can do it a couple of times.
The girl across the hall has male friends coming to visit her. I met her and her mom once and they seems VERY nice. I'm thinking I could ask her if I could borrow some of her male friends to practise.
We are -> <- close to receiving our certificate until this happened. He said to keep positive and the dog will feel the positive feelings, but this is a toyally different situation. This I am not in control of if I'm not there and that's the whole point. *sigh*
He suggested more cating and less pats, but the problem is not when she is at home. She could be by herself all day and feel the security of our home.
If he didn't have to hold the leash, she would probably be ok. I would tell her I will be right back and tell her to sit and close the door. You wouldn't hear a peep out of her. But she doesn't know him and I can wave that certificate goodbye unless I can find guys. LOL That didn't come out right, but you know what I mean. *giggle*