Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Robbed of simple pleasures...

It's been a cold harsh winter and my body has taken every force of it mentally and physically and I've waited what seems forever, for the nice weather to finally come and stay, at least for awhile.

It's spring and I look forward to taking Shasta out so we can once again enjoy ourselves outside. Reality hits me once outside for several minutes. This spring is like no other that we have ever been through before.



This spring, there will be no more simple pleasures for us to enjoy outside. I can't toss a ball for her to catch, nor a frizbee. Her muzzle doesn't allow her the simple playful times we have had together of playing tug or war with a huge stick.



Her playing with a large stone, flipping it into the air and pouncing on it or scraping it with her paws and her mouth.

Sticks that she liked to chew on and make them into a multiude of slivered toothpicks or insects she would attempt to grab with her mouth.



I used to watch her as she did her ritual prance of sniffing the ground with her nose searching for the procise location of the warm spot in the ground to eliminate herself of stool. Wearing the muzzle doesn't give her that same exhuberance, as perhaps her nose isn't close enough to the ground to find that perfect spot.



Simple pleasures that she so enjoyed have all been robbed from her, as if restriction from socialization isn't enough. I see her looking around and know she is hoping a dog with owner will walk by and perhaps stop to talk while she enjoys the company of the other dog. Nobody comes.

As luck would have it, A neighbours dog, Jack escapes from his home and comes running to visit her. I see the happiness inside her as she greets him and her tail wags a mile a minute, but it is short lived as no more than 30 seconds later a bellow calls out to Jack to get home.

She watches in his direction hoping he may return soon, but he doesn't come and I can see the disappointment in her eyes resigned that it's better in the house where at least she has the cats and that awful muzzle can come off.

Not only has the Government restricted her, but now we can see she is also robbed of her simple pleasures.

9 comments:

pitbulljungle said...

Great, great story. You need to send it in to the papers.

IndyPindy said...

Oh, that brought tears to my eyes. Sweet Shasta looks so sad. I agree, you DO need to send it to the papers! A photo essay! I think the photos are EXTREMELY powerful!

Conners said...

I haven't stopped crying since that day as I was anticipating for so long the fun we would have once the warm weather came and my body would finally feel better with the chill out of my body and the pain more in control. But now I see what the Spring and Summer will bring for her and I long again for Winter and will take the pain and suffering that comes with it, so at least she had fun tassing the snow with her muzzle and being a Shasta Snowplow and burrowing in the snow.
To see her have joy brings joy into me. To see that all removed, breaks my heart!!!

Anonymous said...

What a heartbreaking and piognant account of the reality of our dogs. They aren't allowed to "ive" in this province . . .merely exists. Our paws are crossed with longing prayers when the muzzles are gone and the world as we knew it returns. Hang in there!!! You are BOTH a shining example of the wonderful people and pitties in this world!!!
I LOVES YA!!!

Conners said...

Thanks Em,
So many people aren't aware of how this ban hurts us and the dogs. From innocent dogs being put down, irresponsible owners playing Russian Roulette with their dogs lives, and us finding out daily ourselves how this effects us...all becuz of what breed of dog we own no matter their nature.
You think you finally have a handle on how we have to live our lives, but then you realize that freedom has be taken from us as well.
I had her socialized since 6 weeks old and the need for a back yard was never an issue, yet now becuz I don't have the money to move and the privledge of a back yard, I feel I am being cruel to her without a 6-ft. enclosed yard.
My landlord won't allow a completely enclosed run as they say it would be an eye sore.
I want what is best for her, but unfortunately I can't move out of Ontario.
The government has hurt us where we can be hurt the most and that is thru the love of our dogs. It's sooo unfair!!!

Tiredawg said...

Just added you and Shasta to fav.s My Domino TOLD me to.

Amstaffie said...

My heart is breaking for you & Shasta, along with all the other pitties that have to go thru that.

Conners said...

Thank you both Tiredawg. Domino and Andee
It's so hard as I watch all of the socializing Shasta has gone thru go out the window. She can no longer pass a dog without giving me a hard time pulling on the leash and so badly wanting to visit with it. It's not done so in an aggressive way, as I know her, but to somebody else, I can see they are thankful she is muzzled. I've NEVER had that problem with her before and even wonder if I'll be able to ride my bike with her running along beside me. She wants to socialize THAT much and it really hurts me knowing I can't allow it or I'm breaking the law.
There are so many owners of bullies that are chancing it, but her life means too much to me

She NEEDS to be around strange dogs. It's her nature as she's a socializer and doesn't understand why since she got that awful muzzle the socializing has stopped.

As you can see from the last picture, she was in her glory for those short few seconds that Jack escaped from home, but had you have seen her look afterwards, it really brought tears to me.

I know what it felt like to be totally secluded unless someone came over and now she is going through the same thing. It's heart breaking.
The only thing that keeps me sane is thinking about what will happen after May 16th, even though I know it will take months and months of fighting, but at least it will be a start.
Shasta and all the bullies going thru the BSL is God's creatures they He has entrusted us with. That gives me the strength to keep on fighting rather than barying me and her in the house like two recluses.

Conners said...

Thanks Boo and Raven too. *hugs*
We're just sooooo close to winning and then the smoke screen by the government to bring us 1/2 a million in dept, but you know what? Not only are Ontarians not taking it laying down, but same with all Canadians and even like you, our American neighbours have asked to help.
This shows that this issue is near and dear to many hearts and we WILL fight with all that we have!
Just think, if Raven and all your fur fam were here in Ontario, they are one of the next breeds on the list to be banned. I think it's horrorfying the way our government is taking away the rights of dog owners and how far they are willing to do so.