Wednesday, March 29, 2006

No room for error with the pit bull breeds in Ontario, Canada

Two innocent, friendly pit bull breed dogs were killed today because of Ontario's ruling of Bill 132.

These dogs never bit or as much as growled at anyone. Due to a small incident such as family coming to visit and the nieces and nephews coming in and out of the door, one had forgotten to close the front door.

By the time the open door was noticed and the dogs not in the house, panic set in and out went the search for the bullies, but it was too late. Because these dogs were legally registered, Animal Control contacted the owners and told them they had picked up the dogs. Neither dog was stressed out, nor growled or bit. They were just going for a van ride which didn't upset them.

The owners could not get the dogs back and it went to court and a destroy order was put upon them. The owners were not permitted to see the dogs, plus they had to pay a daily kennel fee until the dogs destroy order was due.

Under the Ontario Pit bull Law, a dog in public without a leash and muzzle is strictly prohibited. There is no margin of error for the pit bull breeds in Ontario reqardless of the dogs nature.

How many innocent dogs must die? Were the owners negligent? They had abided by all the restricions and had them properly registered. A simple incident as a youngster leaving a door open led to this, but you can't blame a youngster. Had the owners had anticipated an open door, they would have put the dogs away free from getting out.

This is what it's come down to. One false move regardless of circumstances leads to death of innocent dogs.
Whn the dogs were first taken away by Animal Control and told they would be destoyed after the court date, I got emailed to see if there was anything they could do.

I wanted to be straight with the people, but I double checked to see if there was some way of saving the dogs. I hoped that perhaps there was an answer I didn't know about. There weren't any and I take this hard as I received the email today with the outcome.

I cried as I read the email. I cried for the dogs and I cried for the hearbroken family that lost their loving companions. It doesn't get easier the more stories you hear about. A few with happy endings, but the majority the same as this.

The law is WRONG! These are not the dogs causing havoc and these are not irresponsible owners. That's why Animal Control was able to phone the family. THIS IS NOT JUSTICE! This is a travisty and just plain murder!

6 comments:

Amstaffie said...

This story just breaks my heart! :( On occassion, our dogs have bolted out the door when someone comes in, luckily we've gotten them back in before anything bad happened to them. It happens.

But when the dogs aren't even growling or causing trouble why put them down??? The dogs probably went right up to the animal control not knowing what their fate would be. They just wanted to be petted. That is completely wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

My heart goes out to this family.

Conners said...

Unfortunately Andee, this is the reality of the Pit bull Ban. That's why we HAVE to win!
It was right after this that I let Shasta out for her morning pee and still very groggy. She had her muzzle on, but I must not have clipped the tie on properly.
In my grogginess, she was no longer there and I wondered if I had let her back in. I didn't think so as I was out feeding the squirrels.
I looked and there she was on the far end of the lawn. She looked like she was going to play her 'catch me if you can games', but when I called her, her CGN training must have reminded her andshe came running back to me. I bright her in and gave her hugs galore for being such a good girl.
My heart was going a mile a minute. That's just how easy it is for something to happen
It's NOT fair and it keeps us responsible owners petrified!

pitbulljungle said...

You have to be kidding. This is true? I can't believe it.

Sort of the same thing happened to me the other day. Minus the ACC coming to get the dogs. My dogs were basking in the sun at the front door. I went upstairs to give the bunny fresh water and the dogs were barking. Then they stopped. I went downstairs and no dogs were there. They had opened the door themselves and were frollicking across the street. There were people outside, but ACC wasn't called....THANK GOD!!!!

Conners said...

Yes Lindy, unfortunately it is true and both dogs were put down just for that reason. It's against the law for dogs to be unmuzzled and unleashed in Ontario under ANY circumstances.
Both you and me were very lucky that ACC wasn't around or that nobody had called them.
If somebody had of wanted to be miserable of all the people out there, they could have easily reported you and the dogs. In my case nobody was out, but it still was enough to scare me half to death. I NEVER have clipped her wrong before and she did have her muzzle on, but at the same time, she didn't have a leash on and me on the other end of it. THAT IS BREAKING THE LAW and enough to have a destroy order put on her.
It's a sad, sad province we live in right now for Bullie owners as you well know.
Look at the discrimination you faced just because you wanted Sadie to learn obedience training.

Conners said...

I'm glad you pointed that out to me. I knew it, but it never really sunk in before about the dogs doing something wrong like attacking a person or killing an animal to be put down, yet look at Denver. Innocent Bullies put down just for their breed. No crime done, but only due to their breed. And they didn't get a Grandfather Clause as we did. So you see, it could have been worse for us had we gone the route as Denver. In comparison, I'd say we were the lucky ones.
When you hug your bullies, give them some extra ones from me!!!

Anonymous said...

YES WELL AS THIS IS A SAD STORY . ITS EVEN WORSE THAT LAWS LIKE THIS OPEN THE DOOR FOR OTHER CITIES TO DO THE SAME . I LIVE IN INDIANA AND THIS IS THE DIRECTION OUR LAW MAKERS ARE TAKING US. AS THE OWNER OF A REGISTERED PITTBULL YOU GET TWO CHANCES . THE SECOND TIME THE DOG GETS LOOSE IT IS IMPOUNDED AND YOU GO TO COURT WE ALL KNOW ITS DOWN HILL FROM THERE. MY WIFE AND I WERE ACTUALLY ARRESTED BECAUSE WE WOULD NOT TURN OUR DOG OVER TO THE POLICE (WHO THREATENED TO SHOOT "DEEGAN" ON SIGHT ) THIS CAME ABOUT BECAUSE OUR BABY SITTER ACCIDENTLY LET HIM OUT. AND ONE OF OUR NOT SO FRIENDLY NEIGHBORS SAW HIM .AND ACTUALLY MADE UP A STORY AND SAID THAT HIS DOG(A BEGAL) WAS ATTACKED. THIS ALL WENT TO COURT AND ALL CHARGES WERE DROPPED . THANKS TO MY LYING NEIGHBOR AND FALS ARREST BY THE POLICE. ALL TO OFTEN THIS SITUATION ENDS IN MURDER DUE TO IGNORANCE AND FEAR FUELED BY PROPAGANDA ABOUT VICIOUS AMERICAN PITBULLS. THIS HAS TO STOP.