Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Me, the Government, My Computer and my Brain!

I don’t know how many people understand Chronic Fatigue, and I’m just getting used to it (well, you never get USED to it), but understand how it effects me now with the hyperthyroid fighting against it. Before I was just a sleeping, exhausted lump that couldn’t put any thought process together until one day I’d start coming out of it, and it was weeks or months later. To me, it seemed a matter of a few days…maybe a week.
Now, with the hyperthyroid, I’m still exhausted, but I’m not in limbo sleeping day and night. Still no energy to do anything and what you do, do, takes forever rather than a few minutes as it normally would. More than likely, you never complete what you’re doing because you get too worn out by trying.
Well, I’ve been starting to come out of it and could feel my stamina and my mind becoming clearer. Still, from all that time in limbo and confusion, you’re still un-oriented because of the time you’ve lost unknowingly. You’re not sure where you left off with matters you were dealing with…or even if you got them resolved.
That’s where the government comes in. I’ve been fighting the good fight against Bill 132 as you must know by now by all my previous posts, and I’ve emailed everyone in parliament including our Prime minister, the Premiere of Ontario and any MPP’s, local or otherwise and even our city Mayor to fight against the pit bull ban. I’ve received some email responses back and was ignored by others.
Yesterday evening, I received what looked like an email from the government. It was blanked out and in capital letters, was written BLOCKED!
I was livid. How DARE they block me! I’m a Canadian citizen and I’m entitled to my freedom of speech. Now normally, I would NEVER have done this, but I just had to find out whom in Parliament had decided to block me. I looked in the attachment and there was a zip file. Hmmm…I wondered to myself, but curiosity and anger dispelled any warning signals going off in my mind. I unzipped it! Nothing!
Immediately, I deleted it, went back to the email and deleted that also. Too late, the damage was already done. I got error messages saying my Norton Anti-virus had corrupted or damaged files. I was receiving authorization messages to access the net I had never received before. My Zone Alarm telling me to always allow such programs, so I did. Others, I didn’t that Zone Alarm said only if I knew or trusted them. I’d never heard or seen them before, so I denied them.
Now I wasn’t able to scan to see if perhaps I picked up a virus, so I went to the Symantec Web Site and did a full system scan there. To my horror, the viruses were piling up. Well, okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but still 5 was 5 more than I had and I had only done a complete system scan several days ago. I was infected with the W32.Sober.O@mm worm. The government didn’t BLOCK me as I thought. Norton had quarantined it for me to delete, but that’s the way my brain malfunctions and rather than thinking rationally, I did exactly what I shouldn’t have.
Luckily, after staying up until 6 AM this morning, my system is clean once again. My Norton is installed and working properly and I’m just tired from staying up so late and the frustrating night.
Today, I’m taking it easy and going to give my brain a rest and I don’t care WHO I think I have email by, I’m NOT GOING TO OPEN IT! Norton did its job, but my brain did not, luckily a not too severe lesson learnt. They say ‘curiosity killed the cat’, well; my curiosity could have killed my computer.

No comments: