Saturday, May 14, 2005

Why me???

Cool, calm collected me, is frazzled to the bone. I'm sick with worry and it seems to be getting worse.
Normally, I'm able to remain calm and maybe it's because I'm still coming out of the Chronic Fatigue, but injured or lost animals are seeking me out. Tonight I have a house guest. It's a pigeon with a broken wing and it found itself to my back patio door. It didn't even seem to mind that the cats and Shasta were on the inside.
At first glance, I thought perhaps it got soaked from all the rain we've had the last couple of days. There were even tornado warnings last night; but other than a brief time of high winds before the rain came down in buckets, with the sky lighting up with the flashes of lightning and the crashing sounds of thunder, the tornado's missed us. *whew* Today it continued heavy rain, but nothing like last night.
I thought the pigeon got soaked and couldn't fly...but then it turned a bit and I could see it was dragging it's wing, poor thing.
Between cats that are still roaming at large, especially one I'm trying to catch as he seems to be a stray and all beaten up. Then there are hawks that would make a tasty dinner out of this helpless bird, that I couldn't just ignore the situation.
I tried to talk to him softly to see if he would come to me on his own. He didn't seem frightened and listened as I talked with his head cocked a bit as he listened. I was right beside him and he didn't move. First I went slowley to see if he would allow me to stroke him, but as I got within 1/2 an inch from him, he started to walk away. I followed close behind until I could get him to turn around and get him back to my patio.
There I had a towel which I knew I could gently throw on him. When I uncovered his head, he didn't try to fight me, it seemed quite content. I was patting his head and under his beak and he seemed to enjoy it.
Shasta was watching me from inside and then began to jump up on the patio doors. Figures I've got the bird cuddled in one arm, when suddenly she slid the door opened and off she ran. She always used to listen to me outside and never run off the property, but because I can't take her out without the leash anymore, she decided to break all rules.
With bird in one arm, off I go after Shasta. She wouldn't listen to one single command and was out to have a good run. As if I really needed this at this time! I was losing my patience. Off I go after her with the bird not caring one bit that I was yelling at Shasta. I finally caught up to her and that's when she decided to play dead. A trick she does when she doesn't feel like coming in yet at times.
Well, I wasn't ready to play her games and her disobeying me made me really determined she wasn't getting her way. I pulled on her collar that she had no choice but roll over and get on her feet...dead or not. Now she knew for a fact she was going to have a long stay in the corner once in the house.
She wasn't walking to willingly, but I continued to reel her closer and closer to the patio door, when I noticed Petu had gotten loose and my beautiful white cat was laying down on the wet muddy ground enjoying the outside world that he was not allowed out in.
First I got Shasta in and sent her straight to the corner without even wiping her feet first. Closed the patio doors and then picked up Petu with my one free hand, got him to the door, but with both arms full of injured bird and heavy cat, I needed one more arm to open the door.
Not having that option, I put Petu down and held him firmly between my legs until I could slide the door open. Shasta wasn't moving out of the corner and I grabbed Petu and pushed him throught the door and came inside right behind him and locked the door. Talk about a challenge.
Now I needed to figure out where I could put the bird safely while I figured out who I should call and what I should do for him. The cat carrier would be perfect and he would feel safe and secure in there. I made the towel into a nest for him and he seemed quite content. Being Saturday and it just starting to get dark, I knew I wasn't going to be able to get any help for him tonight. So,I went to a friend and got some bird seed from her to get me by for a few days, plus I gave him some fresh water.
I had already thrown him out some bread when I first tried to get him to come to me, but he didn't appear hungry. That's a plus and since it was now dark outside, I knew to gradually turn out the lights and let him get some sleep. I've checked in on him and he has his head under his one good wing, so that's a good sign.
If only I knew how to do the figure 8 wrap for his wing, but unfortunatly I don't, but his wing doesn't seem to be causing him any pain. Not a good sign as it's quite possible it might not mend if it's to that point.
My friend knew a man that was a Wildlife Rehabilitator, but he has moved away and she didn't know where. She called the Animal Care Centre for me to see if they knew, but they suggested I call tomorrow morning and perhaps someone there will know where he can be located. She didn't think he moved too far away; but rather in one of our small surrounding towns. Hopefully I can locate him, as Animal Care most likely wouldn't bother to try to save him and I'm not about to save this bird just to have him put down.
Sometimes I think my compassion for animals is a curse. It's just like that dog I posted about...and I've seen him again. he looks so much taller, but that's probably because he has lost a lot of weight. I was so close to getting him again, but I had my youngest grandson staying with me for a few days, that when I went to get him, Julian opened the door and let Shasta out. He's only two and doesn't know any better so I couldn't get upset with him, but now I had to go after Shasta who went in the opposite direction as the dog I've been trying desperately to catch. Isn't that just my luck!
Between the lost dog, the ratty, beaten up tomcat and now the bird, it's stress city. And to make matters even worse, as I was coming back with the bird seed, I spotted a cat going after a baby squirrel. I chased the cat away and shoo'ed the squirrel to a tree and told it to go find it's mama and go to bed! Right out loud I told it, 'I can't save ALL of you!'in sheer frustration. If anyone heard me, I'm sure they would think I'm losing it. LOL And you know what? Maybe I am!
I'm exhausted, so I'm going to bed. Tomorrow will be a new day and hopefully it's better than today. Go figure Friday the 13th was a WONDERFUL day. Saturday was my bad day.
Good nite all!

No comments: