Thursday, October 30, 2008

How an attempt to help could have meant her life

Just the other day, Shasta and I heard what sounded like a puppy in distress outside. Before I could even think, Shasta had bolted opened the screen door and ran in the direction of the distress cries. I ran right after her totally afraid as she wasn't muzzled or leashed.

This is not abnormal for the Pit bull breeds to save people and animals. If you look back at some of the Hero Dogs, you will see many that have been honoured and given awards for their bravery. Some even gave their lives to save others. Take a look at Positively Pit Hero's and see for yourself.

Unfortunately, here in Ontario with the Pit bull Ban, Shasta's attempt to rescue a distressed pup could have meant her life. Her bolting out of the door like a bullet could have been perceived as an aggressive act as she ran towards the dogs. Two Jack Russel's were on the landing on the steps outside barking and growling at her. She wasn't interested in them, but sniffing around for the crying pup. I don't think she associated these two dogs from the dog she heard in distress.

I ran after her and the neighbours that were there told me they had never seen me move so fast. I wasn't thinking pain. My only concern was catching Shasta and getting her into the apartment safely. Naturally, I was in tears crying and finding it hard to breath.

The woman appologized to me for the upset and I doubt she even knew the fear I was feeling or why. Everything was quick and like a blur. My neighbours told me Shasta looked confused, but though the other dogs were barking and growling, Shasta was only sniffing. I said, "Yes! She was looking for the distressed pup we heard."

They told me there wasn't a third dog. It was the two dogs that did everything from whimpering, barking and growling. No wonder Shasta was confused as so was I. I asked the woman who kept on appologizing to me to PLEASE take her two dogs in the doors. I just wanted to lead Shasta back home through the back in through the patio and shut ourselves in.

I'm not worried about my neighbours or the woman with the dogs, but some observer from another building that may have taken the full incident out of context. A knock on the door from ACC and Shasta could be taken away from me and held pending upon a trial.

I would literally be a basket case as Shasta is my life, my service dog that helps me with my daily living as well as my other half and fur-baby.

The Liberal government has put responsible dog owners in a state of panic and fear. That's why we MUST win our case against Michael Bryant and the Liberal government's faulty law.

If you look to Calgary, Alberta's you will see a bylaw that makes sense. You'll find much information in the City of Calgary Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

There hasn't been a knock at my door and I hope I don't get one. Should I have to be this afraid?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that's absolutely frightening! I hope no one takes it out of context, neither you or Shasta deserve that - especially when she was just trying to help!