Tuesday, June 12, 2007

No regard

Have you ever felt so strongly about something that you completely live it? You think about it constantly, and you want so badly to change what isn't right about it. That's how I feel about changing the BSL. Banning dogs simply because of their breeds name and not their nature is WRONG!

Every day and sometimes even in my dreams, I think about how can I make a difference. What is it I can do better and stronger to get my point across to those who don't understand?

Every time I muzzle Shasta, it's my reminder of the sad condition of the Pit bull ban in Ontario and in other places. It's not just the Pit bulls, but the Rottie's are banned as well and many more are on the Dangerous List.

I think about all the dogs I had in my past and a few of them would could very well be on that list that in the near future could possibly be banned. It makes me think how back then it wasn't even considered, but had it been I would be doing then what I am doing now. I have never grown up with or owned a bad dog and certainly not dangerous. But now we are told which dogs these are and many people not knowing these dogs go by what the government and media say.

How can people judge something they know nothing about? Aren't there more people, such as me that if told something wants to find out for myself before I makes that decision?

I won't name names, but I asked someone to be totally honest with me regarding Pit bulls and were they for or against the Ontario ban. I was truly happy that I received an honest opinion and the reasons why that decision was based on. It was simply fear. Fear of what was read in the media and never having contact with a Pit bull. I can understand that. How many of us have based our opinions on what we've read over and over again in the press before one day, you might say, how do I know what I'm hearing is true? How do I know it's not one sided? Whose opinion am I basing mine and so you research.

The more you research and find confusing conflict, you realize you've only been dealt one side of the story and now it's up to you to find out what you believe is the truth. As you continue to learn more and more of the opposing side you have to judge how this information you've consuming and processed has it's effect on you. Now you are ready for hands on or face to face to determine what is correct or not.

Decisions shouldn't come straight from black and white what is printed in the media and if we continue to take that info and take it in as gospel, we are only going by the views of columnist opinions and not our own. I believe that's what we call brainwashing and to them, a pay cheque.

You must wonder what got me on this topic and why I've decided to blog about my views and feelings rather than information as I normally do. Truth be known, I need a big VENT!

Something happened to me today that I felt quite disturbing, but actually disturbing which is way too subtle of a word. I was angry to the point I wanted to point fingers. I wanted to slam the persons vocally with everything within me. I wanted them to know exactly how I felt and how they were affecting me, but it wasn't in my place to do so and I knew it yet they offended me so badly I wanted to scream. The hair on the back of my neck was standing up. My heart was pounding a mile a minute. It took every ounce of strength in me to hold everything in so I could at least try to sound civil and in control.

Shasta was outside on the patio and these people I had never seen before came to see her. They were excited and called others to see 'the Pit bull.' The one fellow announced he had a Red Nose exactly like Shasta, 45 pounds, four years old, only male. How he would love to mate her with his dog. I asked if he was from Ontario, starting to feel on the defensive already, but he was from the U.S. and I was releived.

The second one told me he was breeding his too and he has the most beautiful puppies. I smiled and asked if he was from the States too, but he said no, he was from here. Here meaning London or meaning another city, I wasn't sure, but I did know he meant Ontario. He asked if I would like to see the pups and my heart rate started up and I could actually feel the build up of anger coming right from my feet up to my head as he bragged about the weight, colour and size of his dogs. One was 85 pounds he boasted.

Indignantly I said 'No thanks! I wouldn't want to see something that will be killed in the near future because what you are producing are illegal puppy's that you are risking their lives on. He just basically let that fly over his head as if he never heard me. I told him he was telling this kind of information to the totally wrong person. I was fighting against the ban and that it's people like you that are making it hard for the rest of us to do what is right!

It was at this point I realized, hold on Conners! You have never laid eyes on these people before and don't know what they are capable of. How was I to know if they were dangerous or not, so I decided to take Shasta and go inside.

Shasta had been friendly outside, but I did see some hesitation in her as the guy came down to her level to call her for a pat. There was alcohol on his breath and I know she isn't keen when strangers with alcohol come close to me. I suppose she senses my apprehension from previous negative experiences. She came in quite willingly rather than trying to see if she could weasel a little bit more attention before going in.

I can't explain what happens to me inside and mind wise when I become apprehensive and an overwrought sensation takes over me. Sort of a fright and fleet feeling, but with deep feeling of anger and frustration that muddles up my brain. A defence mechanism that tries to shut down to bring me to a calmer level.

Suddenly, one of the guys are at my door asking to use my phone and rather than saying no and perhaps getting him angry, I allowed him and behind him one of his buddies follow asking for a drink of water. They were company of next door and though I knew there was no phone there, there certainly was water, so I felt very ill at ease and made it my business to stay close.

Shasta stayed by my side the whole time and as as they were leaving, surprisingly she went into her crate. VERY out of character for her. I called my neighbour and told her I felt very ill at ease with them and please keep them away from my door. Then I locked it and drew the curtains shut.

My head is now pounding with a severe headache that migraine medication won't touch and my insides are still churning. I keep telling myself, who am I to be judge of what people do and if there choice is to break the law, it's none of my business, but it is and I'll tell you why. Their breaking the law and back yard breeding has caused this ban. It's people like them that have responsible owners having to muzzle our dogs and putting us under strict inforcement. It's people like this I fight against as well as trying to educate the public about our differences.

My whole being is trying to get people like this from harming more dogs, yet what can a 5 ft, 85 pound woman do against 5 or 6 big men that don't care less about the law? I guess the feeling I'm having is helplessness.

There is no remorse from these people as to what they are doing and as far as putting the dogs at risk, they don't believe me. So why am I paniced inside my own home while they party hardy without any feeling of regret? Why am I afraid of them and in fear for their dogs?

I guess the simple answer is because I don't want to see even one dog being distroyed and die, let alone a whole litter and all the dogs in combination people like this are bring into the world in a banned province and doing it with no regard. I am fearing for their dogs!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a lot calmer than I would be in that situation. I probably would have railed them on the spot. I have little tolerance for that kind of wilful neglect and lack of respect. People like that should never own dogs to begin with.

love said...

I understand how you feel and I wish there was alot more we could do to change this heart breaking stuff from happening. I live in the us were it is legal to own pit bulls and I have two there are the most lovable animals I know I am A vet tech and I myself are more scared of being bitten by a poodle cocker or a dalmation than a pit or rott. I agree if people knew more them selves rather than just read the papers when one of the people we are against also, do something to these great dogs. We need to punish the ones in the wrong and it's not the dogs. I see this alot here anyone can own these great dogs and because of the rep they get the wrong people are the ones that want them for that reason. If they were advertised the way they sould be they wouldn't be as tempting to the idiots out there.

Conners said...

You have to watch your step to who you are talking to, or in this case, attempting not to argue with.
I was so overwhelmed by the whole situation that I could have been in danger or put Shasta in danger with strangers with no regard for the law.
How do I know these gang bangers aren't going to pull a gun on us or a knife? They weren't exactly your normal, typical wonderful guys that showed any respect for anything including me. They were all drunk and stoned and I wasn't taking chances.
As hard as it was for me to contain myself, for safety reasons I did and even allowed the one guy to use my cordless. To my shock, it for for a drug deal. Does that sound like anyone who gives a damn about a stranger?
I follow Shasta's lead and if she is out of character and stand offish, I know I should back down too.
As far as the guy who only believes what he reads in the newspapers since it's all that he knows, there is hope for him hopefully.
I messaged him and asked if we could meet in public for coffee (with Shasta muzzled and leashed of course) and this could give him a new perspective on the Pit bull breeds.
I believe that with him being in politics, he might just do that trying to sway me to their side.
Let's face it. If we can get one Liberal to change his mind (or rather I should say Shasta), this could be a start of an understanding on a party that I have been down on.
As I said to him, I can't judge him because of a few bad Liberal members same as you can't judge the Pit bulls because of the few irresponsible owners.
I'll have to wait for his answer to see if he will accept.

love said...

Shasta is a goergous pup good luck with her and all you do. I would like to send you a pic of my two but not sure how to on this.

Conners said...

You can send them right through my email posted on my profile. blog@defend-a-bull.com or
conners@defend-a-bull.com from my web site.
I'd LOVE to see your two babes!!! :)))))