Saturday, July 22, 2006

Take muzzle off pit bull law

Firstly, this article shows the ignorance of the bully breeds and irresponsible owners are doing nothing to reassure the public that they don't pose a threat. Since the law has been passed, it is for us to change legally and responsibly rather than trying to make a bad situation worse.

The sad truth of this editorial is, I abide by the law to the fullest, mainly for Shasta's sake and as a law abiding citizen. At the same time upholding an oath as a member of the DLCC, AFTU and also a member of the LDOA to set a good example. I find myself somewhat of a loner in my area of London as I watch and talk to other bullie owners around me.

While I try to explain the risks they are putting on their dogs as well as seeking responsible ownership, I'm often left feeling like my words are falling on deaf ears. The logic that I hear makes no more sense than some in the article below.

A good example was last night as Shasta and I walked to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription medication. While waiting the 20 minutes for them to be processed, I asked for one of those buzzer alert gadgets that notifies you when your prescription is filled and headed back outside the store to wait with Shasta.

Naturally, with Shasta muzzled, she attracts attention and it's usually in the positive. A car pulled up and the guy inside asked if she was a Texas Red Nose. I never received any papers and didn't get her first hand, as many who has followed my blog or been to my web site would know, and can't say for sure if she is a purebred or not. I've had several people tell me she was, but without papers I can't and won't say she is. Besides, to me it doesn't matter and I had her spayed at 6 months, long before the Ontario pit bull ban was even talked about. I was never interested in bringing more pups into this world and there are such a need for forever homes for animals in the Humane Society's already. Why contribute to a problem.

He was telling me he was exempt to having his bullies fixed as he had their purebred registration papers. I tried to explain that this was purely for dog shows and not for breeding purposes. That puppies in the province were doomed the moment of birth as they were illegal in Ontario, plus the selling of pups.

He laughed at me and told me he had been fined three times by Animal Care and Control already and no matter if they fined him $200 or $500 each time, it was only pocket change to him. For all I know, the guy could have been a braggard as he didn't have any dogs with him, nor did I know if what he was saying was true.

What bothered me even more, was he told me he was willing to give me $10, 000 to breed Shasta with one of his males. Other than her being fixed, it showed me how unreliable some of these so called breeders are. Shasta has no papers to prove her line, if in fact she has one. How then could he prove he was keeping the breed clean by looks alone.

His girlfriend, possibly wife was out of the car by Shasta stressing she was definately a purebred. Well sorry, to me she is my life, my love and my companion and purebred or not didn't mean beans to me. I felt uncomfortable enough that he was even having this discussion with me as I could only view him as someone who was contributing to the problem rather than helping it. I was NOT impressed!

If, in fact he really did have this kind of money, why not put it towards helping out the legal fund and be part of the solution? But then, why would he even want to when he was already bragging how above the law he was.

While there are many of us following the law, there are so many that aren't. It feels so unfair. Their dogs aren't lacking in the socialization skills. He, like many others have told me they take their dogs to the leash free parks and let them socialize with the other dogs. He said the other dog owners say it's okay and don't mind. I know this to be true as they have tried to encourage me to let Shasta off her leash at least, if not her muzzle, but I decline. My mind tells me I am doing what is right, but I also see what lack of socialization is doing to Shasta.

Prior, we went to so any different types of dog events and Shasta was always well behaved and mannerly. Now she pulls when she see's other dogs wanting so badly to associate with them. Her body language shows excitement and I feel badly that I have to deny her this need, so much so, that I quit taking her to the Leash Free Park. But, that hasn't stopped her need for companionship when we come across another dog on our walks.

She does understand when she is working and pulling the wagon as my Service Dog that socializing isn't allowed, but her pulling on my arm when simply walking doesn't help the pain and nerve damage in my arms when not. It's so frustrating and I think of how it must feel to her. I curse the Liberal government every time this happens as Michael Bryant and his Liberal party are to blame for this delemia, but it's my choice to follow it as it IS law and I refuse to put her life on the line as unfair as it is. Responsibility doesn't always come without a price and Shasta is paying for it dearly, but it's better than risking hers for it.

I thought when all this first took place, that bullie owners would unite, but instead I see they are just as divided as the government and us are. If we do win against the law being unconstitutional, what will this teach all the bullie owners reaping from all the hard working dedication and sacrifices we have made to make this possible? Many in the Coalition don't even own bullie breeds, yet even they are putting on fund raisers in many forms to gather for the legal funds. They continually volunteer time, planning and effort in so many ways imaginable dedicated to the cause, yet talking to people that appose the law and refuse to abide are hurting us in a bigger way then they can even imagine.

While this law is unfair, unconstitutional and vague, it is after all still the law. That's why we are fighting it, but in the proper and legal channels. We show the public we are responsible and in most cases, we earn their respect. We don't make the headlines. yet our dog's breed still suffers. Many of the public, as in this article, see the irresponsibility of the bullie breeds that aren't abising to the laws. This hurts us, our dogs and all that we are fighting for.

Would I be just as responsible if I owned another breed of dog? The answer is simple, yes I would! That can be seen by the two cats I have in my fur family.

My writing today shows the frustrations that many of us feel as we fight for what we believe. I suppose it's more of a vent but this article from The Sudbury Star reminded me of the sacrifices we are making and why.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 - © 2006 The Sudbury Star
Take muzzle off pit bull law

Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:00 Editorial

It is unfortunate that the City of Greater Sudbury is choosing not to give the pit bull law some teeth. The result of this policy could be tragic.

Some residents have complained that pit bull owners are ignoring the provincial law - passed last summer - that requires their dogs to be muzzled in public.

The law bans people from selling, breeding, or importing pit bulls. Current owners are grandfathered, which means they are allowed to keep their dogs, but the animals must be muzzled and on a leash in public places.

The issue is not whether the law is needed - it is - or even whether it's a good law; the issue is that the province has identified pit bulls as a public hazard and has enacted a law to govern them.

The city's refusal to proactively enforce the law is disturbing, given the potential consequences.

Municipalities are responsible for enforcing the province's law, and the province is willing to leave it at that.

Cities often act on certain laws only when complaints are lodged. To constantly enforce every statue or bylaw everywhere would require an army of city-paid enforcement officers prowling the streets day and night. No one wants that.

However, pit bulls aren't like unsightly tall grass on the front lawn, or fences that are too high.

Documented reports of pit bulls' devastating and sometimes fatal attacks are legion.

One downtown Sudbury resident recently counted 28 pit bulls walking in public without muzzles. Only one had a proper muzzle.

When he reported the dogs to the city, he said he was asked for an address of the alleged violator so the city could investigate.

Unless someone is willing to follow the pit bull owner home - which isn't advisable - how is someone to provide an address?

A Sudbury Star reporter recently asked two pit bull owners about their decision to walk their dogs without a muzzle.

One said: "I don't need to (muzzle the dog); he won't bother anybody."

Famous last words. Vicious attacks by pit bulls are often followed by perplexed owners bemoaning that the dogs had never been aggressive before, and that the victim must have done something to provoke them.

Another pit bull owner said the law is "really a law in name only. The government passed it to make themselves look good, then they don't do anything about it."

Apparently, he's right. What do you think?

Send us your opinion in a Letter to the Editor at 33 MacKenzie St., Sudbury, P3C 4Y1, or fax it to 674-6834 or e-mail it to letters@thesudburystar.com

Vicious attacks by pit bulls are often followed by perplexed owners bemoaning that the dogs had never been aggressive before.

2 comments:

Freda said...

Hey Shasta,

I think they should muzzle a lot of those humans!

Woof!

Freda

Conners said...

I'm with you Freda! Let's ban them while we're at it. LOL