Sunday, July 23, 2006

Man kills bear with dog's help

In the Toronto Sun comes this wonderful article of just how loyal the bullie breeds are. They would put themselves in danger rather than allowing their master from harm. This shows their loyalty, courage and love and in return receive love back to them.

Sat, July 22, 2006
Man kills bear with dog's help
By CP

KITCHENER -- A Waterloo man and his dog made a harrowing escape from the clutches of a vicious black bear while portaging near Wawa.

Tom Tilley, 55, killed the nearly 200-pound bear by jumping on its back and stabbing the aggressive animal with a six-inch hunting knife after his dog alerted him and distracted the bear.

"Love is a very powerful emotion and my thought right away was: 'You're not going to kill my dog,'" Tilley said yesterday.

" I really consider my dog a hero. Without that first warning I would have had the bear clamping down on my neck."

An avid outdoorsman, Tilley had planned on spending 12 days portaging through the area near Wawa with his American Staffordshire, Sam.

Four days into the trip, he heard his dog growl and saw the bear closing in on him.

"That's when I knew I had a serious problem ... I was lunch," he said.

That is until Sam placed himself between the bear and his owner.

"The bear took a few steps down the trail and clamped its mouth on the back of my dog," Tilley said.

"By attracting the bear's attention like that and distracting the bear from me it gave me the quick opportunity I needed to run around to the back of the bear, get on its back and with my knife start stabbing it."

No comments: