Monday, December 31, 2007

Shasta finally recognized by city

There will be no more hassles and long waits, arguing Shasta's case as a certified, service/guide dog, though she be a restricted (grandfathered) dog in Ontario. She is finally filed as a Service/Guide Medical Aid both in ACC and the city.

As sick as I was, I had a friend drive me to ACC. Bullie owners MUST appear in person with all the requirements that only the restricted breeds must provide. How much a dogs looks can change in just one year is beyond me, but they require a frontal and side mugshot, along with an updated description of an restricted dog, along with any updates and vet papers (originals)regarding rabies vaccinations.

This year I decided to beat the last day rush, as I knew I was ready and fired up to finally not go through the hassle of getting sent to City Hall and fighting for months for what we legally shouldn't have to go through each year. I didn't care if I needed to lay on the floor, I was not leaving until our rights were acknowledged and the way I felt, the floor would have felt good to me rather than standing.

As was expected, everything 'seemed' to go through easily enough...that was, until the clerk told me I owed $70.00. I also have a cat, Enok, that costs me $20 for his yearly tags, but Shasta being a certified service/guide dog is NO FEE as she isn't a pet, but a medical assistant.

I told the woman she had made a mistake and I was only here to give Shasta's yearly documentation (I also bring her certification papers even though they should be on file) and recent pictures, but my fee was for Enok only that comes too $20.

I received the usual, 'Oh! I'm new. That's why you gave me all those other papers. I'll have to check with someone else to see how we can help you.' Off she went into an office and I could hear my name mentioned several times. I'm not surprised, they had heard enough from me last year that my name must be as familiar to them as the mayors.

By this time, I was down on my hunches no longer able to stand from all the pain. Shasta was totally focused on me even with someone bringing their St. Bernard, 18 month old horse that was taller than me when standing tall. She had helped herself to all the dog treats on the counter in just a couple of gulps and knocking everything over as her owner looked at her misbehaviour adoringly. I'd hate to see his home.

Meanwhile, Shasta with the reputation of a killer dog was sitting and minding her manners with the grace of royalty. Her eyes never leaving me the worse I got even when asked to be petted by one of the staff members. It was the staffer that said out loud, 'I can't believe how calm, mannerly and focused she is on you.' I was glad to hear it as there were some people in line that were keeping their distance from her. Silly, for one, as she was muzzled as per Ontario law and two, her manners were impeccable and I knew there was a large possibility of other pets there also.

A woman took me to a chair while she told me she would be right back as she was looking at our files. Only a few minutes passed after that and the woman came back apologizing for this long delay, but assured me Shasta was now on file as a Certified Service/Guide Dog and she promised me that from here in, I will no longer have to go through anymore waiting and delays. She simply needed her up-to-date yearly pictures and there was no need for me to bring her service certifications anymore.

London, one of the most anti-bullie cities in Ontario has finally acknowledged her for what she is. A beautiful, legally grandfathered, Certified Service/Guide Dog.

I've been bed ridden ever since, but with fond pride, I look and hug my Shasta and say, 'We finally DID IT!'

So, no matter how difficult (even impossible), remember the story of Shasta and I and know you can over come all things. You just have to want it bad enough and believe in what you're doing.

Happy 2008 to all of you and may all your dreams come true too.

Conners, Shasta & Enok

4 comments:

Furkids in Hong Kong™ said...

I bet that is the best X'mas present you have ever received.

Great job. The both of you.

Happy Happy New Year to all of you!

Wishing you all the best.

Anonymous said...

One of the sweetest dogs I've ever known was a friend's pit bull. Why? She was raised with absolute love and discipline! As I saw so well expressed recently on the opinion site http://www.holyshnikes.com, "PEOPLE make dogs bad." Thanks for stating a humane case for a maligned breed.

No BSL said...

Congratulations to both of you!

Unfortunately another year has passed and the Ontario Fiberals are STILL certified jacka$$e$ and they didn`t even have to stand in line or provide new pictures.

Conners said...

Isn't that the truth Mac. You don't nearly need all this training and certificates to be parents, to drive cars...or probably not to run for election, like you do to certify a dog in Canada. Now take a restricted breed on top of it all and you still get hasseled for two years to get it finally put into the city files.
I feel sorry for the Native's, since they passed off Michael Bryant out into Native Affairs...but I'm glad he's no longer our Health Minister.
Bentley from London now is our Health Minister and although a Liberal, hopefully not a Pit bull hater.
Sadie's pal, a Bullie is like a child. You raise it with love and it grows up to be secure, loyal and all the rest of the positive reinforcements that comes from love.
It erks me when I hear Bullies take a certain type of training to be a good dog. I find they take no more training than any other dog. All it requires is love and of course someone who is knowlegeable about dogs so as not to train them in a negative way because of what some people believe are 'special training for Pit bull breeds only'.
Thanks again Pete! It started off my year in the most positive way and I know there is more positivity coming in 2008.