Monday, July 23, 2007

Grandson bitten by a dog

My youngest grandson was playing outside, when suddenly a small type of dog ran over and gave him two good bites in the back of the leg. There was blood all over the dog as well as my 4 year old grandson, Julian, (My Mr. Monkey).

This isn't the first time this same dog has biten someone and we have a city bylaw that states (and is suppose to be enforce) all dogs must be leashed unless in their own back yard. It seems the only dog that is enforced by this bylaw are the Pit bull breeds, while other breeds are running free and ACC turns a blind eye.

My daughter phoned me and I came right over. The owner told Danielle that the dogs shots were up-to-date and said she would show them to her. Danielle believed the woman and said it wasn't necessary since the owner offered to produce them to show her. I wish I had of been there myself at that point, because not only would I wanted to actualy see with my own eyes her papers, I would have let her know she was breaking a bylaw by allowing her dog to roam free.

Since I have both grandsons with me overnight, it the bites seem worse by tomorrow, I'll take him to the Walk-in Clinic which in turn will want the particulars about the dog and most likely send ACC to check if the dog is properly vacinated. The owner could be fined at that time which would basically be a slap on the wrist and told the dog must be kept within it's own property when outside. They do have small yards where my daughter lives and no need to be runnig free.

Danielle thoroughly cleansed the area and I brought antibiotic cream and another cream to put on both bites prior to bandanging up the leg. I asked Danielle if she was going to report this incident and she responded that she wasn't because she was afraid that since this wasn't the dogs first bite, she was afraid ACC would put the dog down.

I understand her fear for the dog, but the most the owners would have gotten was a fine and a pep talk about keeping the dog under control in the backyard.

I woudn't have wanted the dog put down neither, but it made me angry that a small ankle biter type dog doesn't have to follow the city bylaws and harmed a child for no reason. Julian wasn't running to make this dog chase him. He was simply walking when suddenly the dog appeared and bit him. Danielle had seen the whole thing and Julian did nothing wrong to provoke this dog. He was simply walking towards his own home.

Danielle had only moved into her new townhouse since the beginning of this month and it was her neighbours that had told her that she was also bit by the same dog and not sure if there were also more bites from this dog she wasn't aware of. She suggested to Danielle to call ACC since this was a reoccurance of the same dog.

Had this had been any type of bullie breed or look-a-like that didn't bite nor growl, but talked, which to some people could have been misconstrude for a growl or sign of aggression, the ACC would have been right there and the dog would have been taken for 10 days quaranteen. Shasta isn't a barker, but likes to have conversations with me which is humorous, but to someone not knowing what these vocal sounds are could easily take it as a type of growling with her deep voice.

I told her neighbours that I owned an American Pit bull Terrier that had never bite before, but because of breed, had to be muzzled and leashed at all the time when out in puplic. How quickly ACC would have come for her and have her put down for a lesser reason than this. This same neighbour had seen me visit my family with Shasta with her service vest and muzzle on prior and said how unfair the law is. How right she is and it's no wonder dog bite statistics can't work if people won't report them because they fear for the safety of the dogs.

No comments: