Wednesday, May 16, 2007

2nd Annual Bullie Legal Fund Bowl-A-Thon and AfterParty Events

Both events, The Bowl-A-Thon and the AfterParty were absolutely FANTASTIC!

There were so many more awesome donations in prizes for the silent auctions, raffles, etc. then we had last year and were sent from everywhere, such as Sudbury, Windsor, etc. Unfortunatety, we had less bowling teams than last year with less sponsors and not as many people showed up.

Emily, London's Rep of the Advocates For The Underdogs did a amazing job of planning, organizing, getting the word out with much more time to organize this time along with the added AfterParty. My hat goes off to her for all her hard work, along with her co-piliot, Lisa who both gave an exhausting 150%.

Although we had people from out of town come, it was a dissapointment that more Londoner's didn't show up. Even so, we raised a lot more than we had the day before to help in the fight.

Naturally, I brought Shasta, London's only bullie service dog to both events and I was astonished how she stayed in working mode with all the excitement and noise. She received so much attention and of course was just loving it. I had never taken her anywhere where there was so much excitement and loud noise going on, but nothing fizzed her. Admittingly, I was so proud of her and her conduct.

I actually bowled my very first game of 10 pin, but by the end of the first game the nerve damage in my arms and hands were screaming at me and I needed help with the second game. I learnt I had no preference to which side my gutter balls would go, but finally once I got going with some tips from my team mates, I actually hit some of the pins down. LOL

I think everybody won their share of prizes and many people gave me some of them for Shasta saying she made a great Ambassidor for the bullies. We had to get extra bags to carry all our prizes home.

After last years fiasco of not being able to get the press to come until we finally got the University Reporters to come, then gave us a hard time about airing it on TV. They said it could offend Pit bull victims, but they received many outraged emails from not only bullie owners, but from some that didn't even own our kind of breeds stating that both sides of the story should be shown rather than only negative press. This year, we couldn't get any that would come out to the event. That shows you how one sided the press is here in London and they pick and choose what the general public is going to watch.

From not being fully recovered from the virus I contracted months ago, I wasn't going to miss these two events for the world and since I was no longer contagious, nothing was going to stop Shasta and I from going. I knew it would set me back to square one, so I made the very best of it I could and now all the pain would be worth it...and it is!

Nothing is quite as exciting as when not only are you having a fantastic time, but for such a worthy cause all the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear the event went well, even without the support of the media. One cannot expect anything from the press. Especially when we know that most of the professionalism is gone - it's just about moneymaking headlines now. Since the media has mainly portrayed these dogs as spawn of the devil, how can they be expected to desire to wreck the view they took so long and hard to develop?
Go Bully's Go!

Conners said...

It's still feels like such a let down as this is exactly what the general public needs to see...both sides of the story. Responsibility vrs irresponsiblilitie and the difference it makes no matter what breed of dog it is.
Even so, we pulled in more for the Legal Defence Funds than we had the day before, and everyone had such a terrific time opening their time, wallets and hearts for such a great cause a fun time. I know I did and it feels great going wild and knowing you are part of the solution rather than just an onlooker.
Physically, I'm a hurting unit, but nothing can take away the excitement and satisfation of that day. *cloud 9*