Sunday, January 14, 2007

DEFEND-A-BULL BLOG: London, Ontario stumpted over restricted, service dog

DEFEND-A-BULL BLOG: London, Ontario stumpted over restricted, service dog

Here's a recent update from my previous post.

On Friday, after not hearing from the man all week, I called him. He was genuinely sorry he didn't call back, but said he was going to have ACC refund me the $50 license fee for Shasta as this could take months of research and it would be better in my hands rather than ACC's. He did say that however, should he find in the law that she wasn't eligable, I would have to pay ACC for her license once again.

I asked him what exactly was he looking for in the law and when he told me he could only find the guide dogs for the blind were the only service dog he could find, I excitedly said, I have a government letter I received in 2005 with the exact information I believe you are looking for. He asked if I could mail it to him ASAP and of course I said I would.

Once we hung up, I went to my computer, found the letter and printed it off for him.

The letter is from Accessably Directorate of Ontario and outlines the existing law regarding the rights of persons who may not be visually impaired, but who require the use of a guide/service dog to function due to a disability.

It includes The Ontario Human Rights Code and the Health Promotion and Protection Act stating there is no discrimination due to physical, mental, blind or visually disabled using a guide/service dog and could be in subject to a human rights complaint.

If this is the proper information I am providing for him, this will make Shasta the first recognized by the city, a restricted, guide/service dog in London.

This is not about the license fees. This is for the right of the city recognizing her as a guide/service dog no matter what her breed. I'll keep you updated.

6 comments:

Jenny Chun, Give Paw said...

Good luck with this. Looks like your beautiful pit is an ambassador for her breed. I have an Amstaff in NYC and am fortunate that we do not have a breed ban (although Councilman Peter Vallone seems to want to implement one-- it was recently in the news). Keep on fighting BSL. No dog should be forced to wear a muzzle (or worse, be put down) because other people are ignorant! It just makes me sick.

Conners said...

Thanks Jenny and yes, I signed the petition against Peter Vallone's proposal and told him how it wasn't working here in Ontario and wouldn't work there and explained ways to prevent dog attacks or bites without BSL.
Why is it so difficult to understand a comprehensive educational program and getting the irresponsible owners is more reasonable than than banning breeds? Is it because they want to go the cheap route and continue to ban one breed after another until no dog is safe?
It boggles my mind how these learnered minds work...or don't work.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope he doesn't blow off these papers - though he seems to be one of the nicer people. You're one step closer Conners! Best of luck!

Conners said...

I have to say, I feel he is extremely genuine and wants for my best interest. I even heard he either owned or owns a bullie, but wasn't aware of it at the time nor did I ask, but feel like he is trying hard for me, so I doubt he would blow the papers off.
I get a very good feeling with him which makes me feel confortable and confident that he's working towards me and my situation and sounded excited when I told him I had the information he required.
I've talked to others within the dog organizations and have heard he is a right on guy and I was very fortunate to have been directed to him.
ACC I have admit, exclaimed they were stumped with this situation when in other matters they are dead set with rules even if they each all say something different, so I'd say I've brought up a totally new subject that never had to be dealt with and when it comes to government papers, etc. I'm glad I'm a horder and don't get rid of ANYTHING! LOL Being a pack rat seems to pay off at times.
I should email you my other email addy that I use as my primary one.

Animal welfare advocate said...

Hi, Connie,

I hope you don't find this demanding.

I am still in the process of making follow-ups to the Director of the Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau (PAWB) of the Philippines concerning the expose' I made on a zoo in one island here that feeds live cats, puppies and kid goats to their pythons and crocodiles.

This was covered by the television people here and has seen print on local papers. It has been more than 5 months and all I got from the central office is a faxed memo to the Regional Exec. Director of PAWB to check the matter.

Although I have been sent a document signifying that the said zoo has complied with the needed certification and accreditation, it is not what our foundation, Animal kingdom Foundation (http://animalkingdomfoundation.org) calls a satisfactory response.

I have pasted in my blog: allaskalsgotoheaven.blogspot.com the links and addresses where you can read about the matter and, please, if you can write by e-mail the director of the wildlife bureau, do so. I hope you can gather your friends to write, too, asking PAWB-DENR about recent developments of the case.

I can only hope they will realize that there are animal-lovers out there who are very much concerned about the plight of the animals here.

Thank you very much, Connie!

Here's to the year that was which was filled with complacency.Cheers to the New Year which we wish to be filled with proactive energies!

La-la-love

Greg

Conners said...

I did one better than telling my friends by mouth, Greg. I posted it in my blog and hopefully people will generously respond by reading the links and write letting that the rest of the world is just as appauled of this situation as you and the foundation are.
PLEASE PEOPLE! We need our voices heard!