Thursday, November 09, 2006

Replies of candidates running in London's Municiple elections

With the municipal elections underway in London, Ontario, this is a good chance to find out what the candidates views are in London. I'm going to cut a paste an email I received from Emily, AFTU.

I have posed a few short questions to candidates where and when I can.

Ward 2 – Steve Pohill came to my door and basically looked at his toes and told me people BOUGHT pitbulls for all the wrong reasons and what did I think of muzzling ALL large breed dogs in the city . . .then Daphne walked over and dropped her toy at his feet – you should have seen his expression!

Tim Gatten – board of control – basically said he knows he doesn’t have the “dog owners vote” and doesn’t care, he will be elected anyways and that his friend was attacked by a dog last year so I can tell “all my friends” who have the same questions as me that he is for the bylaws and would make more.

I emailed Ms. Barber back and said it wasn’t a “campaign” but a group of concerned individuals (dog owners and not) that cared about their rights and freedoms within their municpality. And below are direct email replies:

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to call you yet, things have been a little hectic so I'm glad you emailed me about this issue. Its much easier to respond later at night when I know I won't be disturbing anyone like I would if I phoned! I did not favour breed specific legislation from a personal point of view and would not vote to enact such a bylaw as a councillor.

I don't believe it is the breed of dog which makes it dangerous, rather it is more likely the conditioning provided by the owner, regardless of breed. If the provincial legislation is quashed by the court, it would be a good opportunity - as well as legally prudent - to repeal the municipal bylaw.

As for my position on dangerous dogs in London, I feel there should be adequate safeguards for the public but as for which ones specifically, I would ask your advice for what might be reasonable.

I am concerned with the contract for Animal Care and Control in London. It would appear they are not compassionate in their care for found animals and quickly put them down without spending the time to find their owners. From anecdotal experience, I've heard they go door to door in the Cherryhill apartments telling seniors they must buy a cat license for their pet or face the prospect of losing it. I don't believe this is the way any organization should behave.

It is my understanding that the AC&C contract was renewed for 5 years but the terms of the contract have yet to be finished. Perhaps the new council can move quickly to address some of these concerns in the contract.

Thank you for taking the time to email me. If you would still like, I am willing to contact you by phone to further discuss the issues. And, of course, you can always contact me.

All the best, Stephen Turner Candidate - Ward 6 519-495-1578

Ms. Barber:

Hi Emily,

I received this exact same question from another constituent, so I assume there is a campaign in progress on this issue. I will tell you the same as I told the other person. I am not a big fan of the pitbull legislation. I don't believe it is possible to legally define a pitbull. I believe that an animal, like a human being, should be judged on its behaviour rather than some undetermined physical characteristics.

I'm sorry to be this brief. Your questions deserve a longer answer, but I simply don't have the time to go through all the nuances before the vote on November the 13th. all I can say is that I have encountered a number of dogs that have been described to me as pitbulls that I have found to be very sociable. That should be the criterion for the restrictions placed on certain dogs, in my estimation.

I have heard that the Humane Society is currently awash with dogs that may fit the pitbull description that have now become unadoptable. That is not an appropriate way to treat animals.

Sincerely,

Gina Barber

John Walsh

Dear Emily: Thank you for your Email. I already answered the same questions for Lester Lundy. I tried to copy the answers into your email but it didn'twork. so I will answer them again.----- Original Message ----- : Questions for Election Candidates

Dear Mr. Walsh

With the upcoming municipal election I was hoping you would have a chance to answer a couple of questions I have in order to help me make my decisionon whom to vote for.

My concerns lie with the municipal bylaws regards dogs, Animal Care and Control and the Dangerous Dog laws/Pit bull Ban, specifically how this effects London.

I would be very interesting in hearing your thoughts/feeling on the Bill132 revisions to the Dog Owners Liability Act and how it effects public safety given that prior to this provincial legislation London entertained a Dangerous Dog bylaw targeting 4 specific breeds.I think the whole Dog Control Act should be revisited by a committee of owners, members of coucnil, interested citizens and possibly the police.

There groups should examine all the problems (disregarding past lawsand actions) if the dog owners Liability Act is defeated and develop a planto bring to council. I have been associated with dogs all my life and there are some that I like and many that I don't like. That does not make them wrong or less valuable to their owners, it simple means that for the protection of the public the committee (discussed above) will have to make recommendations to the council before the act is passed.

I am curious as to what you would do/want for London come the repeal of Bill 132 (as it being challenged in the Supreme Court of Canada)?

The committee mentioned above would immediately come into play and would have to quickly make recommendataions to council.

Would you proceed with the 4-breed municipal ban?

I am not sure that that is the answer. If is an answer but again the committee would have to examine the implications of any action taken by council or other levels of government.

What restrictions would remain (of any) Pitbull/large breed dog owners?

I am sorry but I do not know. It is an area where expert help is neededfrom the goups mentioned above.

I personally am not impressed by Pitbull dogs probably because of the images that is in our minds of these dogs, I would therefore recommend that the committee draft effective actions for control of Pitbull and other dogs in the same catagory.

How would you plan to enforce these restrictions?

While I am not a Native person I think that their "healing circle' concept for this type of offence might be interesting and possible the best. The owner would have a chance to talk to the victim and a concensus should be arrived at. This is only one method. I am sure that there are many otheres that need to be addresssed.

Would there be any exemptions given for Service Dogs?

Yes absolutely. These dogs are trained and should be expected to react properly regardless of the circumstances. If an incident occures that the dog must be sent for more training or retirement.

Given that the current system of bylaw enforcement in regards to AnimalCareI assume that my "reactive" you mean that the bylaw enforcement officers will "lower the boom" on these animals. I think this would be wrong unless the violation was so flagreant that immediate action is necessary and Control is very much reactive as opposed to pro-active, what are your plan/hopes for the future?

I appreciate your time, and look forward to your answers. Sorry that some of my answers are vague but it is because I am not on council and do not kno what has happened in the past. That doens''t mean to say that it will be the same in the future.

Please look at my website www.controllersjohn.ca

If you would like to discuss it further please call me at PHONE: 519.673.3612

Gord Hume

As this issue is before the Supreme Court, I think it is prudent to wait until that case if disposed of and then consider what options municipalities have.

GORD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks Conners. OUR DOGS VOTE DAMMIT - let their muzzled barks be heard!!!!!

Conners said...

You've got that right Em!!! Wrong our dogs and no X marks that spot! Thanks for doing such a great, frustrating job getting us this info to post. Notice Lester somebody? I have a hunch he got the name wrong if I know my G/F. ROFL
Wish we could get more info from all the wards and other cities as well. That would be a blog in itself.