Saturday, September 16, 2006

Shasta - Service Dog In Training

Shasta - Service/PSD In Training

It's taken us a LONG time to get the proper answers on how to get her certified, but worth all the effort.

She will still have to wear her muzzle regardless because of the Ontario Law and the bullie breeds. There may be one way to fight that and right now I'm too exhausted from everything being a battle, that I think I will either see how the verdict turns out in court, or enjoy this new found freedom prior to fighting again.

You see, Shasta is also an Alert and Response dog. That means, should she senses when I'm starting to panic and become anxious, she knows how to calm me down. If I were in a full blown panic attack, she knows how to bring me out of it, but it requires her mouth to do both.

If I decided to go further and have her registered through Canada, the same as the Guide Dogs of Canada, I could them attempt to fight the muzzle law currently enforced upon the bullies in Ontario.

One thing I have noticed is a whole new approach of educating the public has arisen from this. People are now asking me questions, that I am gladly willing to answer. They are genuinely interested and so far we haven't had any negative responces or feed backs.

I'm not neive to say there won't be any, but this now has given me more freedom, less stress and a new opportunity to speak to people about the BSL.

We just got back from a week of camping and the welts you see on her face are from fly bites. I brought the wrong dryer sheets. *bad mommy*

I've been quite impressed with her manners in stores and towards people. Her manners have been so fantastic and I have an 'ASK TO PET' patch on her vest. The reason I went with that patch, was I wanted people to see the bullie breeds are NOT what they read about in the newspapers and this gives me the opportunity to explain to them about how the media plays games with the bullie breeds and other postive jobs these dogs are so inclined for.

Admittedly, I had reservations regarding the muzzle and her working, but that has proved to be a BIG PLUS toeards the bullie breeds.

WAY TO GO SHASTA!!! I'm PROUD of you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go both of you! It's heartening to see that you finally have your freedom back and that Shasta has the recognition she deserves. I think that vest is most becoming on her - green is definitely her colour. WHOOO HOOO!

Conners said...

Now if only the verdict would come in and the muzzles could be removed, that would make it even GREATER!!!
Thanks so much Sharon and yes, I like her in green too.
The thing is, once she has it on, she KNOWS it means work and she's a totally different dog. I didn't think she would understand so quickly. *giggle*

Anonymous said...

Shasta darlin...you look marvoooolous in your vest.
CONGRADULATIONS

Auntie Gail, Daisy,Bullet

Conners said...

To do her FULL work of PSD she needs the muzzle off or she can't do her job properly.
Enough fighting already...where's that verdict???
And thanks Gail. I'm trying to teach her how to bring me her own vest, but so far, she will walk up to it and stare, showing me where it is. I KNOW where it is...I want her to BRING it to me. Back to the drawing board. LOL